General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
If you remove the shift boot you can see the two cables the shifter uses.

I love 5 speeds and have owned many. However, I personally think that the HHR is one of the worst shifting cars I have ever owned. I even installed a TWM short shifter (first one to do it, and I helped to write there instructions used on there web site) which is a big improvement over the one the car came with. But the shifting, especially from 4th. to 5th. is still sluggish and not very smooth. As an example, I purchased a 97 Integra for my son and it's shifting absolutely puts my HHR to shame.

Any way back to the cables. They in my opinion are the reason for the poor shifting. Chevy just doesn't have this down very well.

This is just my opinion. You may or may not agree with me. That's up to you.

I will say if you want improvement than the TWM kit goes along way in helping.
I'm 100% with you on the shifting. I wasn't sure if any kits would fix this. Mine is soo stiff and notchy that I (sic) missed the timing on a gear (sic) and ground it. (Haven't done that since I was 16) You really can't row it through the gears easily.
I'm going to test out a dealer's HHR and see if mine is not right. My wife's honda can be shifted with your pinky. Buttery smooth. I wish the HHR with all it's power and fun was such.

Jim