General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual unlock without horn blaring

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Manual unlock without horn blaring

Both my remote key entries have stopped working despite new batteries, etc. I don't mind unlocking the door (driver's side) manually with the key..but the horn starts honking and only stops when the key is placed in the ignition and turned to the on position...I have gone through the Information panel and turned off the horn feature..but this is only for the remote key entry..not manually..anybody know how to stop the horn from honking when you manually unlock the doors. THanks
Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM

You need to manually lock the driver door for the alarm to not set.
Learned that at a Motel in PA years ago.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Does that mean locking by pushing down on the lock plunger at window level, or locking by hitting the electric door locks twice? Despite replacing the battery, my remote sometimes takes 10 seconds before it responds. I have ordered a new button insert. Hope that is the issue but it is always good to have a plan B.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by sdafins
Does that mean locking by pushing down on the lock plunger at window level, or locking by hitting the electric door locks twice? Despite replacing the battery, my remote sometimes takes 10 seconds before it responds. I have ordered a new button insert. Hope that is the issue but it is always good to have a plan B.
Unless yours is different from mine, push the driver side door lock button once, then close the door, a few seconds later all doors will lock.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by sdafins
Does that mean locking by pushing down on the lock plunger at window level.
Yep

Originally Posted by donbrew
Unless yours is different from mine, push the driver side door lock button once, then close the door, a few seconds later all doors will lock.
For the 06 model, this method still sets the alarm and if unlocked manually the horn will keep blaring until the key is inserted into the ignition.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 AM

I was going to say jump in as fast as possible and stick the key in the ignition ....hahahaha!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Capacitor in line with the horn. Choose a capacitance that allies with the duration of delay you want.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM

manually unlocking doors without horn blaring

Just another fine GM design...have tried the pushing button once routine..still sets the alarm...manually locking the driver's door locks it..but what about the other doors.....get this you can walk around the car and manually lock all 4 doors..but your tailgate is still unlocked..lol,lol..guess I gotta bite the bullet and order a new remote and hope that's what it is....I can picture it now at the dealer..."Oh, your computer needs replacing and that's a thousand dollars"...lol Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Have you taken your remotes apart and cleaned the contacts inside, and also looked for broken solder joints for the battery holder?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Dear surfer54,

What is the year of your HHR? Please, forgive me if you have posted this information and I have missed it.

I want to see what information I can find out about this.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Manual unlock without horn blaring