General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

manufactured in Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM

hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as an 100% American car anymore.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM

That's what I said!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Up here in NY, the dealers refer to it being built in THE SOUTH WEST. There not allowed to say Mexico.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by enri9267
Up here in NY, the dealers refer to it being built in THE SOUTH WEST. There not allowed to say Mexico.
I hate POLITICAL CORRECTNESS..... Tell the F@*% Truth!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by fire
hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as an 100% American car anymore.
Ain't that the truth. My wife drives a Mazda, which is owned by Ford. I call it the Asian Ford..... Complete with 3.0 Duratec motor.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by fire
There is one that's very very close though. Saturn's are completely made in Spring Hill, TN with the exception of some brake parts which are made in Canada. This was the case 15 years ago when I worked there. It may be diffrent now. Even the engines/transmissions were made on site.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM

"Buying American" means buying from an American based company.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by chingchonger
"Buying American" means buying from an American based company.
Man, what a meaningless statement!!

So, that "American based" company decides to move operations and jobs out of the U.S., who benefits??

Like it or not, we are in a global economy today. Toyota and Honda, who have many U.S. based plants, deal with U.S. suppliers and employ U.S. workers do more for our economy than (for example only!!) GM does by building a plant, paying taxes and employing a workforce in Mexico.

And that principle applies to many more businesses than the automotive segment. Try to buy a U.S. manufactured TV, for instance. I had a number of friends employed by GE, who closed a major TV manufacturing facility in Syracuse, NY and moved operations to Suffolk, VA to escape unions. That only lasted a few years until they moved to Singapore. Now, the major U.S. brands, like GE and RCA are owned by Philips (Europe) and are manufactured in Asia.

Sorry, but it's true........
Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 PM

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR

Man, what a meaningless statement!!

So, that "American based" company decides to move operations and jobs out of the U.S., who benefits??

Like it or not, we are in a global economy today. Toyota and Honda, who have many U.S. based plants, deal with U.S. suppliers and employ U.S. workers do more for our economy than (for example only!!) GM does by building a plant, paying taxes and employing a workforce in Mexico.

And that principle applies to many more businesses than the automotive segment. Try to buy a U.S. manufactured TV, for instance. I had a number of friends employed by GE, who closed a major TV manufacturing facility in Syracuse, NY and moved operations to Suffolk, VA to escape unions. That only lasted a few years until they moved to Singapore. Now, the major U.S. brands, like GE and RCA are owned by Philips (Europe) and are manufactured in Asia.

Sorry, but it's true........
Meaningless, no. Broad, yes.

Are you saying it's "American based" if it ONLY benefits Americans?

BTW, when did Philips acquire GE and RCA?

Quick Reply: manufactured in Mexico?