General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Maxed out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
jx3

Maxed out?

Yesterday, I finally got around to getting some steel hurricane shutters to the a recylcing yard. What better time to do this than in the middle of the hurricane season w/ 3 near misses and in the line of sight of another very dangerous threat. Actually, we replaced the old steel panels w/ new accordian shutters last year, and were saving these panels for another family member, who never seemed to find room to have room to store them. Here's a couple pics of them in Dory and her profile.........

Loaded up w/ plenty of protection for the interior and bumper.......

Look how far the rear end sank.........

Total weight of panels hauled was 1,040#!! Adding myself and the weight of other stuff in the HHR (totaling another 210#), I was 500# over suggested limit of the door placard!!

I know that my wife's Infiniti QX4 would have been much better suited for carrying such a heavy load, but there was no way the longer panels would have fit in the truck and I didn't want to have to secure them to drive w/ the rear window/hatch open. They were a perfect fit to slide into the HHR w/ the passenger seat folded flat! Gotta love that feature!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Sweet

Jay-
Good thing you can fly under the FDOT radar. You have also answered a question. Will all of those very same items that I have to go buy for my work office fit in my HHR? We coulda made a deal
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Ratracer
Will all of those very same items that I have to go buy for my work office fit in my HHR?
The longest of the panels was 93 inches long. I had a total of 20 of them laid across the passenger side taking full advantage of room available w/ the passenger seat folded flat.

Originally Posted by Ratracer
We coulda made a deal
Not so sure I would recommend hauling this amount of weight across state in the HHR. I only had to take these 20 miles to the recycling yard, over 15 of which were highway miles. I kept my speed to the min of 45 mph (very dangerous here in Miami). Was very nervous when approaching bridges due to many of them having very hard "lips" at the edges.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Good

The longest of the panels was 93 inches long
Good, I only need 88"'s
Not so sure I would recommend hauling this amount of weight across state in the HHR
I'd meet you half way anyways and I only need enough to do 3 windows. I'm doing them in Lexan or Alum. so that a female could mount these if I weren't available. But I could have used the F track. Oh well, that's life and now I know I don't have to rent a truck to haul to the office.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jx3

Not so sure I would recommend hauling this amount of weight across state in the HHR. I only had to take these 20 miles to the recycling yard, over 15 of which were highway miles. I kept my speed to the min of 45 mph (very dangerous here in Miami). Was very nervous when approaching bridges due to many of them having very hard "lips" at the edges.
I would have been nervous as well. That's a lot of weight!

On a side note, be safe down there. I hope Ike and Josephine stay far away from you. Glad to see Hanna staying out to sea, at least for now.