General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Maximum speed limit? speed limiter on HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Deuces
Maybe an artificial limiter from the rental company?
X2

That's what I meant.
A limiter set to the rental company's standard.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM

All it proves is that you can kill yourself (or go broke paying insurance surcharges) in an HHR just the same as any other vehicle.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by kornellred
All it proves is that you can kill yourself (or go broke paying insurance surcharges) in an HHR just the same as any other vehicle.
I'm failing to make the connection between a speed limiter and killing yourself in an HHR.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM

IIRC the top safe speed to drive while having the tranny in I gear is 80mph? I wouldn't go much past that for fear of blowing the tranny and dealing w/ a warranty claim...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by mongo
I'm failing to make the connection between a speed limiter and killing yourself in an HHR.
I'm thinking he is saying that driving 100+ is dangerous and a wreck at those speeds, has a high probability of being fatal.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
ecl

Originally Posted by asanti
IIRC the top safe speed to drive while having the tranny in I gear is 80mph? I wouldn't go much past that for fear of blowing the tranny and dealing w/ a warranty claim...
I didnt know that one, again thats just what I read else were in another thread, maybe forum, on this topic. I was happy enough that it got to 110 so Ive never had the need or want to try this, and hearing this glad I didnt.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I'm thinking he is saying that driving 100+ is dangerous and a wreck at those speeds, has a high probability of being fatal.
And being limited to 80mph on a highway with a speed limit of 75mph isn't safe either.

(Not picking at you, ChevyMgr, so please excuse the following mini-rant)

Having an outside entity decide what is or isn't 'safe' for me is annoying, at the least. A rental company limiting speed to 80mph is likely to limit damage to their vehicle, not any overarching concern for safety. But to say that speeds over 100mph are unsafe and should be mechanically (ok electronically) limited is Big Brotherism. The result is people not being held responsible for their own decisions, something that chips away at everyone else's freedom. This placement of the burden of safety on the equipment rather than the operator has the effect of making us less safe, as we rely on systems to keep us safe instead of thinking, and being aware of our actions. The Toyota acceleration illustrates this well, when people die because the car doesn't stop in the 'normal' fashion and the driver just continues on, screamiong into his cell phone about how he can't stop his car instead of using his brain and turning the car off.

We have lawsuits clogging the court system, of people suing because they twisted their ankle stepping off a curb, when they simply weren't paying attention to where they were going. Lawsuits against doctors who did their best, but some things are out of their control. Lawyers encourage suind anyone and everyone for things you used be to embarrassed to admit you did. Our health care insuranhce skyrockets because doctors and hospitals have to pay ever increasing malpractice insurance rates.

Whatever happened to personal responsibilty? If I drive my HHR at well over 100mph, am I irresponsible? In rush hour traffic, yes. In the Silver State Classic or at Bonneville, no. It's all in the context. But blanket statements remove personal responsibility and place it on the manufacturer to make sure their products are 'safe'.

Ugh.

Rant over, sorry for the thread jack. I'm just against totalitarianism, so I tend to stomp it out before it grows. I like freedom.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by slimsol
Is there anyway i can remove the speed limiter?
You need to take it to a dealer and have it fixed. I have never heard of a rental company installing a limiter, but I guess it is possible, although GM would have had to cooperate with this little install.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM

If a GM dealer can not help by reflashing your HHR, Let me know.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks for all your reply. Do you think a dealer with fix this limiter issue without charging? the car is still under full warranty. But because the limiter is a "ADJUSTMENT" not a "FIX"

Quick Reply: Maximum speed limit? speed limiter on HHR?