General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Mirrors:Bright Chrome skull Caps Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Mirrors:Bright Chrome skull Caps Issue

I'm not sure if the snow, or rock salt had anything to do to my Chrome Skull Caps. But they have some discoloration to it. I'm taking it to the dealer they are not sure if its a warranty item becasue they are plastic. On wed we will find out when I get my passager seat re done to loose threads, the mirror cap, they will look into the rear hatch and let me know if that can under warranty, plus an oil change for having 9000 miles on the car.

Its by the edge
Old 02-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

I have to deal with all of the salt and snow also and mine are fine. It looks like the chrome is getting blasted off somehow. They have to put copper down first in order for the chrome to attach. Proper chrome plating is a three part process first copper, then nickel, then chrome. I noticed that the plastic had an actual chrome finish when I chopped my grille up because you can see the difference between the copper layer and chrome layer over the white plastic.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Did you watch trucks last weekend Cap? They showed the chrome process on there.Gotta love the power block..
Old 02-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
Did you watch trucks last weekend Cap? They showed the chrome process on there.Gotta love the power block..
Nah, part of my job is outsourcing the parts we machine to our various plating and painting vendors. I have to deal with plating all day every day and I have visited a few of the companies to see them in action. Some of it is really cool like gold plating and powder coating.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Ok Chevy is going to warranty the chrome skull cap. Its going to be replaced this week. So if you have any discoloration all you have to do is bring it in for service. And it can be replaced. It only took one day for them to get the part.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Ok Chevy is going to warranty the chrome skull cap. Its going to be replaced this week. So if you have any discoloration all you have to do is bring it in for service. And it can be replaced. It only took one day for them to get the part.
Thanks for the info SIHHR... good to know for future reference. (no probs with mine yet)
Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Are they replacing just the cap, or are they replacing the whole mirror? The reason I ask is I was wondering if the caps are removable and interchangeable.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 PM

I would belive just the cap. But the guy called me up and Said the mirror assembly is in. So i'm not 100% sure. I think its interchageable. I will post more details once I found out. I wonder if Mike (SoCal knows)
Old 03-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Banned

I believe the skull caps are interchangeable on the 1LT and 2LT with the bright and satin apperance package. The LS has a different mirror that is not meant to have a skull cap.

Last edited by captain howdy; 03-03-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I believe the skull caps are interchangeable on the 1LT and 2LT with the bright and satin apperance package. The LS has a different mirror that is not meant to have a skull cap.

Good to know Capt. I am wanting to paint my caps the body color and it would be much easier to do if the skull cap came off. But since I will be buying an LS, I'll have to take the whole mirror off and mask like a madman!

Quick Reply: Mirrors:Bright Chrome skull Caps Issue