General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Moody HHR

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Moody HHR

Cobbs seems to take moods. Most of the time he runs like a striped ape, but once in a while he looses his edge it seems. No rhyme or reason to it (same tank of gas, same ambient weather/temp/humidity). Like something doesn't setup right from the get-go on that particular engine startup. What it really feels like is that the ECU has pulled timing for some reason... has that less responsive feel that retarding the timing can give. Intermittent. Runs strong 80% of the time, but has these episodes once in a while.

It's a head scratcher.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 PM

I have had that feeling you describe with my '07 HHR LS model, a 2.2L with Getrag manual transmission. If I really want to accelerate I must keep the RPM's high in the lower gears. But if I dog it for any length of time, pressing on the accelerator pedal without downshifting gets me nowhere fast. Of course, that's true with any manual transmission vehicle generally - but it seems the throttle response will vary upon occasion in what seem like similar circumstances. That's when I get that "head scratcher" feeling - I ask myself why in the heck is it taking so long to get moving. Maybe pressing on the pedal at just the right moment in the input processing cycle will cause the electronic engine control to ramp the voltage to the fuel injectors at a slower rate. Or there is an unpredictable lag in the buildup of fuel pump pressure. The engine control algorithm (software) might not be able to every possible combination of control inputs efficiently. It can get pretty complicated. (duh)
Add an adaptive shifting automatic transmission into the mix and things can get really hairy. It will be interesting to see the responses as they begin to show up.

I really, really enjoy my HHR - more than I thought it would be possible to, actually.....

WR
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM

I suspect these response or lack of reponse is due to the drive by wire techology in the HHR. Max torque and HP is @ ~6000 rpm+. To get the rapid response you need to be in the "proper" rpm range. I have the auto transmission which, while cruising is running ~2500 rpm @ 70 mph. For fast response, down shift to third and get into the 5000-6000 rpm range.

With my auto on the highway, when I hit the gas pedal, the car drops to third gear and does accelerate quickly.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:38 AM

I noticed with the last tank of gas that the HHR is not as responsive as it has been. The gas companies are likely changing over to their winter gas formulations.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
I noticed with the last tank of gas that the HHR is not as responsive as it has been. The gas companies are likely changing over to their winter gas formulations.
with the new level price $$$ of the barrel isn't supposed to be a better product
Old 11-03-2007, 10:44 PM

I've noticed similar patterns in mine as well, though it seems to change more with the weather than with gas. If it's humid, it seems to be less responsive than when it's drier air. When the temps are cool and humidity is low, Sebastian wants to go.