General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

More Ecotec Goodness: Part Duex (HHR SS Turbo engine)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Thumbs up More Ecotec Goodness: Part Duex (HHR SS Turbo engine)

HHR SS is going to be sporting the 2.0L turbo charged version of the ecotec, engine code LNF, built at Spring Hill TN. Same motor the Saturn Sky Redline has. Here's a little article about the LNF as used in the Sky Redline:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ine/index.html

From page 2 of the linked article (Italics added by me):

----------
Many of you are probably thinking: OK, great engine, but it's still a little inline four! The image of four-bangers being less-than-durable is not without truth. Yeah, we've seen some four-cylinder imports make amazing power, but that power comes at a price: literally and figuratively. The amount of dough that must be pumped into your typical four-cylinder to get it to withstand large amounts of horsepower is very high, and even then, they're still a ticking time bomb of blown head gaskets, bent rods, and catastrophic block failures.

But the Ecotec is different. This particular four-banger really will withstand the abuse true enthusiasts will throw at it. But don't just take GM's--and our --word for it. We had a conversation with someone who knows firsthand: Mr. Bill Hahn Jr. Since the 1970s, this man has been turbocharging everything he can get his hands on, from V-twin motorcycles to airplanes. His company, Hahn Racecraft, was founded in 1988 and provides turbo systems for vehicles ranging from T-Types to Vipers, Miatas to GTOs. But it's GM's Ecotec platform that has really gotten his heart thumping in recent years. "This second-gen Ecotec architecture is really something. Several years back, GM made a promise that they were going to go after the Ecotecs with a vengeance, and I'd have to say they were not exaggerating in the least!" Hahn has worked extensively with this engine platform in all its applications, and already produces turbocharger systems for the LE5-equipped Sky and Solstice.

"I'm excited enough about this new Gen II Ecotec engine that I believe in stock form I will be able to push it further--safely and durably--than any engine from any manufacturer that came before. With the Gen II, we're working with an engine that is brutally durable as far as its bottom end design. With a casing that splits in half like a racing or motorcycle engine, these things are just amazingly capable of higher horsepower. It's really encouraging because while other manufacturers have some pretty powerful four-cylinders on the market, a lot of them are working with 10- or 20-year-old technology compared to the all-alloy Ecotec. You have to be really selective with engines these days, and I can honestly say that the Ecotec, which we have been working with for years, has an incredibly durable track record compared to anything else we've ever worked with. I can honestly say that there's nothing out there from any manufacturer that surpasses it."

----------
Old 08-04-2007, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the link! Cool words from engineers in the know. My friend turbos Dodges all the time and he is always tinkering and pulling heads, etc. Not bullet proof enough for me I guess since I'm getting lazy and my idea of after work and weekends is no longer rebuilding engines. Been there , done that.

The ecotech turbo seems like quite the little four banger, and I do NOT like four bangers! Going to have to try one when they become available. I'll make sure my wife is busy with something else that day though........
Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 AM

My Dodge Van has given me it`s share of headaches, but I love the feel of a turbo.
I knew I would have some troubles when I got it, it had over/or very close to 200,000 mi. on it already. But I like tinkering around, (used to) I`ve done the head gaskets at least (4) times, mostly my fault, (over boosting), and I`ve changed the bottom end once.
I think GM is gonna put out a great lil` Turbo, and I can`t wait to get behind the wheel...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 AM

I know you know my friend Gary D, the Dodge Turbo King ! We spoke of him in another thread. SO I guess all the Dodge turbo guys get a little heavy in the foot and do the head gasket dance I know I'd be doing the same thing

Me too in the can't wait for the Ecotech version in our HHR