General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

More from GM

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dpoll995
thats good news for now. looks like the UAW doesnt want to dip into all those big bucks that they milked from the big 3. thats fine they were able to get tons of pay out of the car companies, but when its been milked for all its worth dont come crying for hand outs from tax payers. im so sick of the big 3. atleast ford is working on getting things right. i always have bought fords and this (08 HHR SS) was my first GM and now after this bail out plan goes through, and it will maybe not now but it will soon, the HHR will be the last UAW car i ever buy. ill still support the non union american workers, ill buy a toyota...
It is the legacy costs for healthcare that has gone up out of control and generous pensions that result in the high costs. The current hourly rate is not unreasonable at all. There is really no one to blame (we always seem to try and point fingers). Wage concessions from folks that are not making much to begin with will not help (even if they worked for zero). Cutting benefits for retirees (where possible in bankruptcy or otherwise) is not fair, but may happen. I am really pained by this; there are so many hard working and talented people that have made so many great cars, and I truly believe the cars they make now are the best they have ever produced. The buying public is just on hold for a couple of years and not much we can do about that.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

My question is, when did it become un-American to be pro-union?

I think that it is rather un-American to support companies that come over here and open plants in "right-to-be-a-scab" states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Louisiana, pay ZERO taxes on those plants and even receive enough tax breaks to build those plants for free. Then they pay the workers not much more than the prevailing wage already in place before the plants were built.

Whenever GM, Ford, and Chrysler built plants in new areas, they lifted the economy in those areas with new jobs that paid better than the prevailing wage and infused money into the local tax base. Many times (*cough* Oklahoma City *cough*) they were promised tax abatements that local governments reneged on, but nobody ever mentions that anymore.

If there was ever a time for unions, it is now. If the Big 3 go down, wages in the transplants will fall or disappear entirely as the imports shut down and pull out and the price of vehicles will go up. If that's American, then today is the first time in my life that I'm ashamed to be an American.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty

I think that it is rather un-American to support companies that come over here and open plants in "right-to-be-a-scab" states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Louisiana, pay ZERO taxes on those plants and even receive enough tax breaks to build those plants for free. Then they pay the workers not much more than the prevailing wage already in place before the plants were built.

Whenever GM, Ford, and Chrysler built plants in new areas, they lifted the economy in those areas with new jobs that paid better than the prevailing wage and infused money into the local tax base. Many times (*cough* Oklahoma City *cough*) they were promised tax abatements that local governments reneged on, but nobody ever mentions that anymore.

If there was ever a time for unions, it is now. If the Big 3 go down, wages in the transplants will fall or disappear entirely as the imports shut down and pull out and the price of vehicles will go up. If that's American, then today is the first time in my life that I'm ashamed to be an American.
It became anti-Union when the union's thing they control America. They Do not anymore, perfect example is when the Gov't asked for a wage Cut and they Said NO. They rather send the big 3 into Bankrupcty then to cut back on wage's,Health care. If they would stop and look at the big picture if they Fall So will UAW. Which isn't a bad idea.

So yes i guess im "Un-American" I don't support the Union's never have. What they did back in the 60's-70's was a GOOD change for American. However in the year 2008.. There is no need for Union's anymore.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty

this is 2008 not 1930! there is laws to protect workers now. this country does not need unions. if someone does not have the nerve to speak up for on there own they are probaly getting paid what they deserve. umm you got that scab camment backwards buddy... unions always have been a scab on the ass of corp. america. the big 3 build the worst and most over priced cars in there class. all these years i still alway bought fords and now a gm to help support them, what did gm to to me? they stabbed me in the back, my car wasnt even built here but they sold it to me under the pretense that i was getting and american made car. the UAW is going to bring them down and they cant even understand it, i guess they should have stayed in school instead of dropping out to join UAW...
Old 12-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by LTSport08
and you are right on FORDS i am a service manager at a Ford Dealership and their quality is now is unbelievable...I have been there for a year and a half the first time I have ever seen an EDGE come in for any problems is now. And its only one.. But yeah I dont support the UAW I dont support Unions in general but I love GM and it is an American company and I am an American.I cant see my hard earned money go to profits over seas.
amen to that, but did you know your car in not american built? probaly in mexico or canaduh
Old 12-13-2008, 02:13 PM

For what it's worth, from my automotive experience formally working for a fortune 100 electronics company, there is typically a lot of USA made parts; regardless if our vehicles were assembled in Mexico, etc. Also, the last time I went to tour the Toyota assembly plant here in KY, they also had high USA content. So I suggest it is very important to us that GM, as well as cars with high USA content manufacturers survive. I do believe though, that the US manufacturers must be competitive regarding quality, reliability and cost therefore 'management' as well as the factory workers must ensure their wages, bonuses and benefits are in line with the rest of us. OK, off of my soapbox for now.

Does anyone know what the USA content is for a typical HHR; even though it is assembled in Mexico?

Thank you
Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dpoll995
this is 2008 not 1930! there is laws to protect workers now. this country does not need unions. if someone does not have the nerve to speak up for on there own they are probaly getting paid what they deserve. umm you got that scab camment backwards buddy... unions always have been a scab on the ass of corp. america. the big 3 build the worst and most over priced cars in there class. all these years i still alway bought fords and now a gm to help support them, what did gm to to me? they stabbed me in the back, my car wasnt even built here but they sold it to me under the pretense that i was getting and american made car. the UAW is going to bring them down and they cant even understand it, i guess they should have stayed in school instead of dropping out to join UAW...

I don't have to go back to 1930 to see worker abuses by management. In fact, I only need to go back 2 years in my employment, where the government had 11 air traffic controllers fired for not checking a box on a medical form. That is no lie. It was a shot across the bow at our union. We fought back, going to Capitol Hill, and the 11 were re-hired. A few months later, they tried it again, only this time at my workplace. Firing 3 new employees unjustly, we again went to Congress, which had to intervene. There are political games being played out everyday, which the public is not privvy to. MY union has made things right for these 14 employees. If we hadn't had a union, they would have been s.o.l.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that similiar abuses of power go on in the private sector. In my case, if management had pulled their heads out of their a$%%, we wouldn't need a union...Until then, game on.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting story, Seeburg....

But it is just that.....a story....provided with your opinion.

I am not taking sides on this issue, but based on many years of moderating union/management grieveances (I also was a steward in 2 very powerful unions), we are only hearing one side. I have been continually amazed at how opposing statements for each side of a particular incident, can be so opposed one one believe it to be to separate incidences. For example, in your statement, you indicate the questionable employees failed to check a box related to a medical issue. Was the medical issue related to drug use? Did the applicants fail to disclose that use? Did the employer discover use afterward? Were the employees afforded the opportunity to correct the "mistake", and refused or lied? Does the application indicate it must be filled out in entirety? Do you understand MY POINT. You provided just enough info to support your emotion/position.

Maybe, just maybe, those discharged employees were dismissed appropriately and pro-union politicians changed the decisions inappropriately. It does make one wonder why the union went to Capitol Hill as opposed to a civil court ruling.

Again an example....I'm sure you are aware of the mass dismissal of ATC's when in the early 80's (I believe), they went on strike.....even though the contract contained a "NO STRIKE" clause. Many, many were dismissed for not reporting to work but were later reinstated, after some partisan political involvement. Howver, an appropriate number never did regain employment, because of the contract clause agreement.

So, in conclusion, I like your story but you get no sympathy because of a lack of supporting facts. It could be easier to acknowledge if you provided the omissions.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KYRVNUT
For what it's worth, from my automotive experience formally working for a fortune 100 electronics company, there is typically a lot of USA made parts; regardless if our vehicles were assembled in Mexico, etc. Also, the last time I went to tour the Toyota assembly plant here in KY, they also had high USA content. So I suggest it is very important to us that GM, as well as cars with high USA content manufacturers survive. I do believe though, that the US manufacturers must be competitive regarding quality, reliability and cost therefore 'management' as well as the factory workers must ensure their wages, bonuses and benefits are in line with the rest of us. OK, off of my soapbox for now.

Does anyone know what the USA content is for a typical HHR; even though it is assembled in Mexico?

Thank you

The content issue can be resolved, I believe, by someone with an 08' checking their MSRP window sticker. I think GM provides that info in a window, on that sticker, indicating "Parts Content Information". The box also contains Final Assembly Point and Country of Origin for the engine AND trans, separately.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KYRVNUT

Thank you
I still have the stickers from my '06. 85% US/Canadian parts content, Engine and Transmission Country of Origin: United States. Final Assembly Point: Ramos Arizpe, CZ.

BTW, the whole thing about UAW members being uneducated is very misguided. Often times the first people who'd apply for jobs at new plants are also college educated, like teachers for example. The union jobs usually pay better than a lot of jobs that require a degree, and the companies do reward those who get college degrees with upward mobility in the organization. My Dad has a degree in history and teaches school now that he's retired. Never used his lifetime certification until he retired from GM. He was a union member for the first 20 years, salary for the last 20 because of his education.

People have mentioned the labor laws that have been passed in the last 70 years. Those laws were created because the unions lobbied and demanded them. You honestly think that a$$holes like Mitch McConnell wouldn't start lobbying to repeal those laws and set us back another 70 years? Keep dreaming.