General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

More from GM

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:37 PM

THe UAW is already set to give back $500 Million in wage and benifits to GM in 2010. They should be prepared to move it up if needed to save the company.

But what too many people including our idiots in DC think is it is just a few problems here to resolve. Well there are a lot of things to be worked out. The UAW is only on part of a big puzzle.

They keep saying the bail out was for Jobs that is the wrong way to approach this. The British tried to bail out British Leyland for Jobs and it went under. They need the bail out to fix the companies and the jobs will be saved with the repaired companies. IF you don't fix the companies you still going to lose the jobs.

As for the limited Camaro and ZR-1 deal. GM is just now doing a slow ramp up of the Camaro, They do this to make sure they don't have a qualityh issue. They also have over 5,000 dealers who all want cars in Febuary. THey have to spread them out till production can catch up. In time they will be sitting on the lots waiting for buiyers,

As for the ZR-1 it is and was always planned as a limited car. Your only going to sell so many $100,000 Vettes over a period of a few years. To keep demand up over that time you sell only a couple thousand a year. Then the last year or two they sell it look for a jump in power as the engine is good for 730 HP and still meet emissions the last time I heard from some of my GM buddies. Though the money problems may play into this now.

Besides the little money they are making on the ZR-1 is not going to effect GM opne way or the other.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for your response !! It does clear up a few things.

And my example of PATCO was to illustrate how POLITICIANS (as originally stated) get involved in circumstances beyond their grasp and reverse decisions by others, that MAY HAVE BEEN APPROPRIATE.

But again, thanks for your explanation.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by dpoll995
the HHR will be the last UAW car i ever buy.
The UAW is in Mexico?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky
The UAW is in Mexico?
probaly not, but my point was that i wanted an amreican made car to begin with and i got a mexican made car, and now after all this bail out crap i refuse to buy a UAW car...
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

probaly not, but my point was that i wanted an amreican made car to begin with and i got a mexican made car, and now after all this bail out crap i refuse to buy a UAW car...
Engine from New York, transmission from Ontario or Michigan, body stampings from Ohio, and suspension components from Indiana and Michigan. All painted and bolted together in Mexico.

I guess that makes it less "American" than a Toyota that's painted and bolted together in America from major parts produced in Japan.

For someone who espouses being pro-American, you're doing a great job of being about as anti-American as it gets. Are you honestly for telling people to get out if they don't like America, then turning around and saying it's okay for foreign companies to come here and create a new generation of slavery in the industrialized South?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 AM

does GM pay the Mexican Assemblers $27 an hour? like the North American ones?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 AM

Mexican pay:
I tried looking around the Internet for this. I found that Mexican factory workers earn $1.25 to $3.00 per hour.

http://www.ueinternational.org/shop/index.php

In the U.S., meet Bill Lally, a skilled factory worker in Jefferson, Ohio.
There, an individual skilled factory worker making parts for presses and secondary equipment and maintaining molds makes around $16.90 an hour (before deductions).*

In Mexico, meet Gilberto Martínez, a skilled factory worker in Aguascalientes.
There, an individual skilled factory worker making parts and repairing machines makes around 31.12 pesos an hour (before deductions), including a year-end bonus.

That total wage equals about $2.79 an hour.*

The average hourly wage for US factory workers is $18 an hour.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Engine from New York, transmission from Ontario or Michigan, body stampings from Ohio, and suspension components from Indiana and Michigan. All painted and bolted together in Mexico.

I guess that makes it less "American" than a Toyota that's painted and bolted together in America from major parts produced in Japan.

For someone who espouses being pro-American, you're doing a great job of being about as anti-American as it gets. Are you honestly for telling people to get out if they don't like America, then turning around and saying it's okay for foreign companies to come here and create a new generation of slavery in the industrialized South?

car still shows built in mexico, so was it made in mexico or the us?? IT WAS MADE IN MEXICO! i didnt go car shopping for a mexican car i wanted a car that i could say was made in the US. and yes that make the car less american. i see no slavery in the foregin plants,people are free to come and work there and free to quit when they want. and they dont need to go on strike when some scab leader tells them.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky
The UAW is in Mexico?
No, but the UAW is the main reason that the HHR is made in Mexico.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM

car still shows built in mexico, so was it made in mexico or the us?? IT WAS MADE IN MEXICO! i didnt go car shopping for a mexican car i wanted a car that i could say was made in the US. and yes that make the car less american. i see no slavery in the foregin plants,people are free to come and work there and free to quit when they want. and they dont need to go on strike when some scab leader tells them.
hhrcrafty is spot on --> it was assembled in Mexico... with significant parts content coming from the US. Ironically, your Mexican assembled HHR is probably more American (in terms of parts content) than many vehicles assembled in the US...

Also keep in mind that GM is a US company, with money coming back into the US instead of heading overseas as it does with the transplants. This is an often forgotten detail...

You may also want to consider the design/engineering aspect of all of this. Although GM has regional engineering centers around the world, a significant portion of the design and engineering is done in the US... even for vehicles built elsewhere.