General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The Most Stupid Stuff Salesmen Have Told You

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM

I was eyeballin the new at the time Ford Ranger Splash to replace my getting long in the tooth Nissan. I asked the sales guy on the lot to go grab the keys so I could take it for a spin. He said to me "What you think we just hand the keys to anyone who just walks up "
I replied well I guess if you aren't interested in selling one today... Buh Bye.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM

When Chevy came out with their first front wheel drive car I stopped by to see how they had done. This good looking sales girl walked up and asked what I was looking at? My reply was...... you. I was single at the time. I did take her out to lunch later on. The dumbest was in 68 We had wnt to a local dealer to order a 69 Nova. This was on Sat after they came out on Thursday. We told him that we wanted the 307 with the new Hydromatic tranmission. His reply was you don't need the Hydromatic unless you live in the mountians or tow. (this was at the coast) I told him that I waas from Roanoke smack dab in the middle of the mountians and that I planned on having a boat before I left the area. We walked out the door, want to their compition and ordeed a 69 Nova dark green with a matching dark green interior. 307 with Hydromatic. I was in the service at the time and that was all I could afford. I wanted the SS.

Last edited by Ron S; 06-18-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM

After I had done all the foot work to get all the information on what was available to order the SS Panel in July of 08. I called the local dealer, talked to a salesman, He said he would get back to me with a price. The next day I was in the area so I stopped by but he was not there but the Fleet Mgr. said he could help. Told him what I was looking for and he told me they didn't make an SS Panel, told him they are and that I had a the build sheet in hand from another dealer, which he grabbed out of my hand. Needless to say I did not order it from them. I still use that dealer for my service work and every time I see the guy I tell him I guess I got the only one.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM

As an incentive to retire GM offered me $10,000 voucher to use on a new vehicle in 1996

I went to a local Chevy dealer and was looking at new pickups. Salesman asked me what I drove and I said '94 Pontiac. He said "we can get you out from underneath that car........"

I laughed, showed him the voucher for the 10Gs and walked out. I bought my pickup at another Chevy dealer, a 1996 S-10 and still have it with only 78,000 miles on it.

Boydie
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM

What's another $30 bucks a month?
The sunroof, that's worth something, isn't it?

I've had 2 really bad experiences with salesmen and sales managers. Many moons ago, we looked at an '80 Buick Regal. It had been painted over bad paint that had badly checked. the "new" paint was also dull. The car clunked out in an intersection, and he said, "we'll fix that". Really? then I commented about the paint, and he said "we'll get it waxed up for you". I didn't tell him that I do paint and body as a hobby.

The other time we looked at a minty PT Cruiser (this was before the HHRs came out) with only 23k on it. My wife drove it, loved it, and we wanted to buy it. I didn't have my checkbook with and had to run home. They asked us to sign a paper with our offer. Yea, what ever. They let us drive the car home and back. I drove this time and discovered that even mildly hitting the gas it pulled really hard to the left from a dead stop. They tried to tell me it was torque steer. Then they tried to tell me it needed a front end alignment. They wanted to work on it and have us come back. They made it worse by overcompensating on the alignment. Then they tried to say their mechanics were not used to working on Chryslers (it was a VW dealer). There was clearly something wrong with the rack on that thing. We walked away from it. As I was walking out the sales manager was chewing me out for reneging on the deal. I told to take me to court and if the car is so safe you buy if for your daughter. Funny, I never heard another word about.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Who Cut the Cheese????

A few years ago took a Black ZR2 S10 pickup for a ride...... the salesman was new and some what nervous as we went for a test drive.

Just as we got back to the dealership an "AWFUL STENCH" filled the interior of the truck. Holding back from "gagging & coughing" while trying not to breathe was not easy.

The salesman must have something "powerful" for lunch.... smelled like something died!!!!

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 06-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM

PA-IndianRider
Welcome to the site Like the story. Did you buy the truck?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Back in 2003 we bought a new Camry. It seems there was a joke going around the dealership with the salesman who could convince customers that a certain model Camry was sold with a turbine engine. Well, the wife and I show up looking at the Camry line of cars one Saturday morning. A 25 year old sales guy came out and after looking at a few different Camry’s he took us over to one sitting by itself on the lot. He starts the turbine engine line with me. Now keep in mind he does not know that I was a fulltime jet engine technician for the California air guard for 22 years. Knowing he was pulling my leg on this I thought I would play the game myself. I told him if that is the case I would need to know a few things before I bought it. First question was “what is the max fuel flow was at idle”. He did not know. Second question was “what is the max FTIT temp on start” {would not want the wife to have a hung start and over temp the engine going to the store} he did not know, he would have to ask the manager. My last question was “what was N2 RPM at 70 MPH”. Needless to say he did not want to play the game anymore and came clean with the joke.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM

I had a friend who was working at a Pontiac dealer once. He said some old looking drunk came in and the salesman all said they were not going out to speak to him.

Well my buddy came up to him and asked if he could help. The old man said how much for this one car and he gave him the price. The old many asked do you take cash and pulled out a lunch back with enough to buy it cash.

He said the others just stood there with their mouths open.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ron S
PA-IndianRider
Welcome to the site Like the story. Did you buy the truck?
We did buy a ZR2 but not from that shi**y dealership.....

Thanks for the welcome. Been checking out threads for a couple of weeks.

Will be doing a few things to our HHR. Pretty much the common things most HHR owners do..... 3 bar grille - cold air intake - muffler change - interior/exterior LEDs.....

ALways do a few (or a lot) of things to the cars/trucks we own. The '08 LT we just bought replaced my "daily drive/work car". Lot of fun to drive, very good on gas & comfy.

Quick Reply: The Most Stupid Stuff Salesmen Have Told You