General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Which motor is best for long life ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Which motor is best for long life ??

The 2.2 or the 2.4 ??

Curious as to you experienced HHR owners replies..

Thank all for replies..
Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM

My 2.2 has almost 40k on it and is still running strong. I think the ecotec platform is a very dependable engine and I don't think there's much difference between the two engines
Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM

They should both last a long time with good care. The Eco is a good engine. Size should not be an issue.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM

The Ecotec 2.2 & 2.4 are of course from the same engine family. It's origins are with Opels. Fine engineers those Germans are. Anyway, the significant differences are that the 2.4 has a larger bore and stroke, and a different head using variable valve timing.

I don't think one would outlast the other if one of each were owned by the same person. These are pretty tried and true engines. 200k miles or more is not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Both the 2.2 and 2.4 are a fantastic engines. As previously mentioned the 2.4 is based on the 2.2. Either one should last a long time if treated right. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM

I don't know why Chevy didn't put some variation of this engine in the Colorado Pickup. If they had I probably would have bought a Colorado 4 Years ago. But when I drove the HHR and the Pickup around back then to compare, the HHR won Hands Down!!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:31 PM

The Ecotec is the 4 cylander engine GM got right. All the previous years of loud, rough and underpowered small engines from them are gone. This engine is world class competitive and I have no doubts about its durability.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Alzonie
I don't know why Chevy didn't put some variation of this engine in the Colorado Pickup. If they had I probably would have bought a Colorado 4 Years ago. But when I drove the HHR and the Pickup around back then to compare, the HHR won Hands Down!!
Well, that's good to hear, yrs ago I thought about buying a Colorado.. Just don't like the looks compared to the 2nd gen S-10..

So that is strike 2 on the colorados in my book.. Thank You !!!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM

Both engines have long since proved their mettle. Like the other's have said, it's the four banger that GM got very right. Which ever one you choose will be more than up to the task of solid longevity with proper maintenance. I have the 2.2L in mine, and it pulled Raton Pass heading north into CO the other day with no loss for power. I had only one brief downshift to 4th gear on that grade. I never needed to touch the shifter on any of the other hills I climbed.

As for the Colorado, I own the red-headed step sibling badged as the Isuzu I-280. The Colorado/Canyon/I-series triplets have their quirks, but other than a too tall axle ratio in my truck, I cannot find much to complain about. I bought mine used, and it was used quite hard by the previous owner. It's a little ragged looking, but the truck works quite well. The Atlas engines also perform well, but are a bit peaky in their performance.

The Ecotec engine would have been a poor choice as the truck is simply too heavy. The 2.2L four banger in the S-10 was one very overworked little motor. The 2.8 in my truck is far more powerful, and it is easily overwhelmed on the hills. I shift a lot in that truck.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by SSguy
Well, that's good to hear, yrs ago I thought about buying a Colorado.. Just don't like the looks compared to the 2nd gen S-10..

So that is strike 2 on the colorados in my book.. Thank You !!!
The interior was the deal breaker in the Colorado. It just reeks.

The 5 cylinder is a fine engine and nothing wrong with it other than public preception. It has a heck of a lot more power than my Sonoma 4.3.

Quick Reply: Which motor is best for long life ??