General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Which motor is best for long life ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The interior was the deal breaker in the Colorado. It just reeks.

The 5 cylinder is a fine engine and nothing wrong with it other than public preception. It has a heck of a lot more power than my Sonoma 4.3.
I sat in a Colorado at an auto show when it was introduced. Yes, the interior was VERY disappointing.

The I5 and I4 used in the Colorado/Canyon are based on the I6 used in GMT360s (Trailblazer, Envoy, Ranier, etc). The I5 & I4 share about 70% of their components, and they in turn share something like 40% with the I6. The I6 has won tons of awards and is proving to be one of the best engines GM has ever made. I have one in my Trailblazer and it is nothing short of excellent. It's really a shame that they don't make it available in the full size pickups, they offer the 4.3 instead! And I've had the 4.3 in a GMC Safari. Nothing wrong with it, but way underpowered compared to what's available today.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM

just say'n

just say'n it's a good engine means little to me...i do also believe that the ecotecs are all good....but i too am curious as to how long they last...my 08 2.4 auto currently has 94,000 with no issues....i have yet to see any high mileage hhrs , but i would like to...i do know that many 4.3s have seen 400,000 miles.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Well, I know of two people with first gen Saturn Vue's, that have the 2.4 engine. One has in excess of 200k on theirs, and the other over 150k. Both run like new. There are plenty of Ions and Cobalts on the road in excess of 100k.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Another Strike

Originally Posted by SSguy
Well, that's good to hear, yrs ago I thought about buying a Colorado.. Just don't like the looks compared to the 2nd gen S-10..

So that is strike 2 on the colorados in my book.. Thank You !!!
Bought a 97 GMC Sonoma new with the V6 Vortec engine, did not care for the 4 cyl. at that time, was told by the GMC General Manager that a mid size truck was going to replace the S10/S15 around 2004, do not like the Colorado/Canyon for similar reasons.

Love the HHR 2.4L in my 2LT. Feel both the 2.2L and 2.4L will last well over 100k or for many many miles of use.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM

I traded a 1999 Sonoma for our HHR. It was the 4 cylinder and it sure seemed to have a rough time getting up to speed on the Freeway. Once it got up there it was okay! I agree that the interior was nicer than the Colorado or the GMC Sienna, is it?? And if I had any notion the economy was going to tank the way it has, I would have just kept the Sonoma. At least it would have been paid for!!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Alzonie
I traded a 1999 Sonoma for our HHR. It was the 4 cylinder and it sure seemed to have a rough time getting up to speed on the Freeway. Once it got up there it was okay! I agree that the interior was nicer than the Colorado or the GMC Sienna, is it?? And if I had any notion the economy was going to tank the way it has, I would have just kept the Sonoma. At least it would have been paid for!!
That's kinda where I'm at. I have a 98 S-10 & owned it since new..

But want to possibly trade for an HHR. Or sell outright... Either way to get an HHR, will mean a payment..

Wants vs Needs ??
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I sat in a Colorado at an auto show when it was introduced. Yes, the interior was VERY disappointing.

The I5 and I4 used in the Colorado/Canyon are based on the I6 used in GMT360s (Trailblazer, Envoy, Ranier, etc). The I5 & I4 share about 70% of their components, and they in turn share something like 40% with the I6. The I6 has won tons of awards and is proving to be one of the best engines GM has ever made. I have one in my Trailblazer and it is nothing short of excellent. It's really a shame that they don't make it available in the full size pickups, they offer the 4.3 instead! And I've had the 4.3 in a GMC Safari. Nothing wrong with it, but way underpowered compared to what's available today.
I know the I6 well. IT is a great engine. I too would like to see it in the large trucks but the cost of it kills it. It is not a cheap engine like the 4.3 to build and most 6 cylinder trucks are base models. GM want to sell them cheap and a more expensive engine would not help.

Also they sell the base trucks on fuel mileage. The 4.3 will get a little more MPG than the I6. But with better mileage comes much less power.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
just say'n it's a good engine means little to me...i do also believe that the ecotecs are all good....but i too am curious as to how long they last...my 08 2.4 auto currently has 94,000 with no issues....i have yet to see any high mileage hhrs , but i would like to...i do know that many 4.3s have seen 400,000 miles.
With proper care and use most engines will out last most vehicles anymore. I could run just about most engines 1,000,000 miles or more with few issues.

What determinds most engine life is poor care or lets face it the car itself will be worn out to the point that it is not worth the cost of repair.

Most engine troubles are self inflicted or a poor design flaw that often can be repaired like a valve seal. Of all the high mile age well cared for cars I have worked on seldom is the engine the reason for it to be taken off the road.

I know many cars where the engine went into another car and racked up many more miles.

Your HHR will fail long before your engine if you take care of it. Even then it will give you hundreds of thousands of mile use.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Today the car will fall apart well before the engine goes.. you may loose some power over time.. Every car i have owned has made it well past 150K before i got rid of it , and they stil rant just fine.. my 1994 Jeep had 226k and now I gave that to my dad, hes now driving it.. it burned about 1/2 a quart a oil change after 225k but always started even in the dead of winter..
Old 08-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

My last S-10, a 1985, I had 237,500 miles on the original motor/trans & clutch.. 2.8 V-6 & 5 sp manual

Only sold back in late 1997 to get my current 1998 S-10, which I still have
2.2 & 5 sp manual

Hopefully it's getting to be HHR time...

Quick Reply: Which motor is best for long life ??