General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

MPG & Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM

averaging between 18.5-21.5.. depending on how much driving on the highway.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyHHR
averaging between 18.5-21.5.. depending on how much driving on the highway.
FWIW I average 23-25MPG in mixed driving. In completely in-town driving I have gotten as low as 18-19MPG. One maintenance item in the HHR that might be good is the oil life monitor system. It'll probably let you go 7000 miles or more between changes, unless your guys are really hard on the cars.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

AshleyHHR......

I'll give you an honest assessment but first, I need to qualify.

I'm a Retired GM Salaried Employee. As such, I am VERY LOYAL TO GM and would , in most instances, say go for it. But, in my HONEST opinion....you MIGHT be making a mistake in purchasing these vehicle for fleet personal.

Based on experiences expressed here, some people have entertained some mechanical and electrical problems that have necessitated many return trips to the dealer for what was called, by the dealer, the necessary repair. Can you afford to have one or more vehciles hibitually "down" at any given time for the repairs?

Your fleet vehicles will be driven by people, other than the owner. So the vehicles will NOT be handled and driven as caring, as an owner. This will result in lower MPG numbers than members here and the window sticker indicated. Remember, they will be driving moderate to hard to get from one repair to another.....so some abuse is mandated. This will reduce expected MPG. I would say, and it would really depend on the QUANTITY of Interstate miles (because this vehicle is highly dependent on constant speeds for high MPG), but 18-20 would be closer to a norm.

If you and your company can accept these "problems" then I would say go for it. Knowing how most employees drive "company vehicles" I would suggest otherwise.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM

True... company cars tend to get beat on, so the MPG won't be as good as mine.

However, as far as reapirs go, I'd reference the rental car fleets. I can't imagine Avis, Hertz, etc, keeping these cars in rotation if they needed too much maintenance.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

That is exactly why I mentioned the maintenace....

When reserving an HHR for a recent vacation, I had to wait 1.5 hours for one of the 5 HHR's that were in for repairs.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Actually.. each vehicle is assigned to one person, who is solely responsible for that vehicle, plus they are GPS'd, so we track their driving habits and speeding. So the wear and tear is actually quite minimal, at least in the past. Most our guys have been getting the maximum mileage out of the rangers that is deemed possible by the window stickers. Again, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

LabCorp has been using the HHR since it was introduced in '06 in their fleets. The Panel was specifically designed for fleet customers and I think your repair personnel would appreciate a vehicle that has a secure, covered cargo area for their tools.

Best way to do your CBA would be to get together with a Fleet Advisor at your local dealership. There are many maintenance and purchasing programs available for these vehicles that may affect your analysis. The so-called "common" problems mentioned on these boards cannot be taken seriously simply because there are thousands of HHRs on the road, only a small percentage of that number will ever post anything here, and those smaller numbers are more likely here to vent complaints over the service of their cars.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM

The HHR has two big advantages over other models, lower price and 100,000 mile warranty. The standard options are what sold me. Many of the bugs have been corrected in the '08 model. I've owned very good and very bad vehicles. The HHR is one of the best!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 PM

mine is a 06 lt 2.2 auto. 41000 mi in central kansas avg 32 mpg. has run like a top did nothing but change oil and filter. i would recommend hhr panel for sure. easy getting around, low load floor
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM

I am like DEEREBILT, here in central Kansas with 2006 2.4 and 36,000 and no major problems. We are very happy with ours.

Quick Reply: MPG & Maintenance Questions