General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Multiple Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:47 AM

The only concern with ham radio equipment would be antenna mounting.... While not a ham operator myself, I helped a co-worker with an install many years ago when I was into CB radio, IIRC the antenna was a fairly large one, and we mounted it to the side of the vehicle (a 77 Dodge van). A quick google search reveals antenna tech has advanced quite a bit with glass mount antennae now available (Although that wouldn't be the most efficient.)
The battery in the HHR is in the rear, under the spare, so power connections for the radio shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, I heard that the FCC has removed the Morse code requirement for a ham license, is that true?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 AM

First off Sarge, welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to our country. As for the HHR, if you're looking at the 2LT, then you'd be getting a truck that was pretty much loaded already. I have one with the running boards (I just think they look better with them) and auto trans. But really, if all I had was the trans and power mirrors, I'd still love this vehicle.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Giving up a pickup? Seems like half the folks around here are in that class. Me too. Splurge, let the moths out of the wallet. Get an SS, you can send a CQ over here, and get over there in time to answer yourself.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:58 PM

Windows or Panel????

I have an 08 panel and I love it but there is two problems with panels "Blind Spots"and no second seat. I have a very hard time backing out of a parking spot and almost have to get out of the panel to check the traffic coming down the road. I still would have a panel.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM

i too, gave up my 2005 GMC Sierra extended cab, had every option but leather, LOVE that truck, but due to my situation i chose to get hhr, LT2 the one thing that i wish i would have gotten is on star.... just my wish. by the way havent regreted it.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Mongo, antenna mounting is not a concern, MANY ways to do so not the least being the magnet mount I have on the pick-up. It should actually work better on the HHR due to more "surface area" creating a better ground plane - but I'm getting technical!
YES the FCC did do away with the morse code requiement in February of last year! This has sparked a whole new interest in amateur radio in the US. It is a fasinating hobby talking to people around the world, using computers to do the same, talking off satelites on and on...don't get me really started!
Thanks folks keep the answers coming a HHR is loooking more and more in my future.
Cwalker - thank you Sir!

Sarge
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM

BTT for the latest!!

Sarge