General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

My HHR and I Have a New Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM

How long would it take you to deliver to Hillsdale, Mi
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
How long would it take you to deliver to Hillsdale, Mi
Way too long!!! Like 11 hours or something... We don't go that far!!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM

I use my HHR for courier work in the Washington,DC area. I put 170 miles on it on a very bad day, usually 270+. The car works very well for the purpose, with very few mechanical issues. However.....learn how to inspect and install brakes, doing delivery work kills brakes, and can make the job cost-prohibitive if you have to pay Joe's garage to do the relatively easy work. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Founding Member

I like Pappa Johns Pizza! Do you have seat heaters? Keep them babies warm.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
You should be able to fit quite a few pizzas in there.
Most I have had to fit in the SS so far was 40. Very easy considering 5 larges to one bag. In all honesty, I think the limit would be somewhere around 200-250 pizzas. But we would run out of bags long before that. And I doubt someone would order that many pizzas!!!! The HHR is a great delivery vehicle for pizzas. Small, nimble, plenty of room, great mpg and fast. I also like the fact at my pizza place we don't have to rock those big signs on the roof. On a typical night, I only drive 40-100 miles for an 8 hour shift. And I always make at least $40 just for gas. Brakes are a big thing to maintain! On my truck, I would be doing pads every 6 months and new rotors every year. I probably will experience the same thing on the SS but the money made working outways the cost of doing the brakes so often. Also, tickets maybe a problem for the area your in; if your excessively speeding. Luckly, we only get a sarcastic warning from the police when we're pulled over, which is rare. Most of them know me and the car. I would check with your boss to see if they do the same thing.

Good luck and don't get any speeding tickets!!!

Dave
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I like Pappa Johns Pizza! Do you have seat heaters? Keep them babies warm.
Na, I don't have leather seats. The seats in my HHR are ebony cloth seats. So easy to stain!! Since it's subs/sandwiches that I deliver, they're cold to begin with, so they don't have to stay warm or anything. But I did put in an application at Papa John's, and I like their pizzas too! Never got a phone call back, though. Oh well
Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the job.. Hope they don't run yer tires off..

PS: Throw a plastic cover the seat, where ya haul the grub.. protect da ride !!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2010SilverIceSS
Most I have had to fit in the SS so far was 40. Very easy considering 5 larges to one bag. In all honesty, I think the limit would be somewhere around 200-250 pizzas. But we would run out of bags long before that. And I doubt someone would order that many pizzas!!!! The HHR is a great delivery vehicle for pizzas. Small, nimble, plenty of room, great mpg and fast. I also like the fact at my pizza place we don't have to rock those big signs on the roof. On a typical night, I only drive 40-100 miles for an 8 hour shift. And I always make at least $40 just for gas. Brakes are a big thing to maintain! On my truck, I would be doing pads every 6 months and new rotors every year. I probably will experience the same thing on the SS but the money made working outways the cost of doing the brakes so often. Also, tickets maybe a problem for the area your in; if your excessively speeding. Luckly, we only get a sarcastic warning from the police when we're pulled over, which is rare. Most of them know me and the car. I would check with your boss to see if they do the same thing.

Good luck and don't get any speeding tickets!!!

Dave
That's still a lot of pizzas!! Jimmy John's is a subs and sandwich place. For anyone who's never been to a Jimmy John's, I would kinda compare it to Subway a little, except it's probably a little bit nicer and we probably have better/fancier sandwiches. I actually deliver subs and sandwiches, so I doubt if I'll ever even fill my passenger seat!! Someone would have to order $1000 worth of sandwiches in order to fill my HHR!!

Be glad you don't have to use a sign. I look the way it looks and everything, but it's really hard on the roof. I just noticed the other night I have a few small scratches on my roof now. I guess I have to be more careful when putting the sign on and taking it off. I think those scratches are probably the result of me accidentally sliding the sign around on top of the roof when trying to take it off the last couple times. It's not like it moves around at all when I'm driving. The sign's magnetic, and it's super strong too. I don't think a 100 mph wind gust would blow that sign off!! But lately when I've been taking it off at night when I'm done, it feels like I'm gonna pull my roof off with it.

Some of my shifts are about 6 hours, and some of them are 3 hours. I don't normally work 8 hours. If I had a really good, busy night, I'd expect to put on maybe 60-70 miles. So far, I think the most I put on in one night was 30-35 miles. I've only worked about a week and a half now, and they told me that it's been slower than normal ever since I started. So, I don't think I've really seen what they consider a busy night just yet. Hopefully I will pretty soon though!!

I never really speed when I'm delivering. I just do the normal 5 mph over like I always do, but just about everyone else does that too. I guess I just play it safe, I don't want to run the risk of getting a ticket. I've never gotten a ticket before, and I don't want to get one now. In all reality, speeding doesn't really save much if any time when you're only driving 5-10 minutes to make a delivery. It might save 30 secs-1 min; not worth it in my mind. And if I get pulled over, the delivery will take even longer then. Plus, I'm pretty sure they run Driver's License checks every 6 months or something.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Congrats on the job.. Hope they don't run yer tires off..

PS: Throw a plastic cover the seat, where ya haul the grub.. protect da ride !!
Thanks! I just got a new set of tires put on my HHR on Tuesday. They have a 90,000 mile tread life warranty so hopefully I won't have to worry about new tires again for a while. And I just got new brakes 2 weeks ago, so I'm set on brakes for a while too. And that's a really good idea about the seat cover! I'll have to try that
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Well we promise 40-45 minute delivery time on most deliveries. When you get 4-5 at a time with them scattered all over the area, you would have to speed to make the time limit. A large deep dish takes about 12 minutes to cook. Not including preparing it, boxing it, etc. I'm sure you won't have to worry about getting slammed like that. But, I do enjoy the job and I am just like you, I would rather be driving my SS as a job then just making the pizzas/taking orders inside anyday. Plus, I make more money that way. As for the seat cover, I use a heavy duty bath towel folded in half for my passenger and driver's seat. Both seats still look and smell brand new. Again, enjoy the job and hopefully you get some big tips out of some customers!!!!

Dave