General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

My HHR's Snow Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 07:08 AM

My HHR's Snow Road Test

Hello Fellow HHR Owners and Fans,

On this wonderful Sunday mourning I had to chance to drive my wonderful HHR in snow around Staten Island, NY and Brooklyn, NY. First off I kept the car overnight in the garage so it would not have to accumulate any snow prior to driving in the am. My first turn the Low Traction came on while driving barely through less then 2 inches of snow. Driving on a highway going 40 MPH the car was very smooth, full control. Once I got off the highway and into Brooklyn it was another story. While driving down 65th street, which is a major avenue and has a lot of traffic lights, every time I stopped at the light and then proceeded to move upon green, the car would skid and the low transaction control would come on. The First few times it was annoying, then after light and low transactions one after another I just got use to it and said “heck with it” It could be worst right. Two seconds later a mini-van and a Bmw going different directions skid into each other on the same street. Keep in mind the streets were barley plowed and I said thank goodness for auto transaction control. Making right and left turns were not good on the HHR. While making a left it felt like I hit something based on the amount of snow that got collected in the wheelbase. On the way back home I also another mini-van skid off the highway and into the bushes.

So here’s my advice:

1) Drive between 20 and 40 with snow on the ground and still falling
2) Take your time making turns on barley plowed streets
3) Drive safe

Things that I noticed upon coming home: (Pictures provided)
Attached Images    
Old 12-04-2005, 07:12 AM

If you notice on the First Picture there was plenty of snow around the wheelbase which would casue issues to make turns.

On the second picture slush was all over the chip defelector.

It was on both sides. Great idea from GM. It did come in handy to collect slush.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Banned

Or just put snow tires on. I am kind of worried about the snow build build up in the wheel wells but mine is a little worse than yours because I have the molded splash guards.

Last edited by captain howdy; 12-04-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Does the molded splash guards build up more snow?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
If you notice on the First Picture there was plenty of snow around the wheelbase which would casue issues to make turns.

On the second picture slush was all over the chip defelector.

It was on both sides. Great idea from GM. It did come in handy to collect slush.
Unfortunately, the thing that you really need to worry about are the ABS sensors that are used for ABS and Traction Control. If snow and ice get packed in around them, they can cause havoc. What I want to know is if the snow gets packed in around the rear wheel well to the point where you have constant rubbing against the tire. I also want to know, from people out there who have them, if the front mud guards prevent the constant throwing of snow and other debris onto the chip guard you're showing. If not, this will be a source of RUST to us in the rust- prone areas. It'll rot out the door right by the chip guard.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Does the molded splash guards build up more snow?
Yes, because they extend down a couple of inches lower than the wheel well more snow packs up in there.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM

Is it me. But for some strange reason the wheel base around the rear looks bigger than the wheel base around the front?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

I think they are the same size but If you have a 2LT with the sport tuned suspension the read is jacked higher than the front giving it a larger appearance. Look at the distance between the top of the tire and the wheel well.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:57 PM

Yes I have that package. While making a turn the snow got packed in the drivers side wheel wheell and while I attempted to make a turn, I was unable for a few seconds. It felt like I hit something. It was so weird, plus at that moment the low transaction did not kick in either