General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need advice on a good trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM

baha?

i don't know about the trailer...i know someone who got 1 of those from harbor frieght , it broke into...but to be fair he overloaded it....i helped him overload it a few times....i was shocked it didn't break sooner....lots of thier stuff is disposable and not meant to use much and some is just garbage...but i do buy from them , it just depends on the item.....i got the hitch from etrailer , i thought is was a good deal and easy to install....i also hate to say but i would want to know if it were me , unless you like to fix and work on stuff i would stay away from that baha stuff....if it lasts 1 day without something breaking it would surprize me....and if you go to far off road it could really ruin your day to be stuck in the woods with some chinese scrap metal....a good name brand will still have resale value even after you put it thru many years of abuse....good luck , stay safe , have fun.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM

I won't buy anything from Harbor Freight if I plan on using it more than once...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 PM

if i remember correctly the towing weight that is stated at 1000lbs, includes anything but the driver. So passenger, cargo in the vehicle etc.

The car may pull it, put you might have trouble stopping it, and then the additional strain on the car and the transmission.

I just put the Curt hitch on my hhr. I prefer it over the other options because the horizontal tube is flush with the end plates and sealed, where the other ones extend out just a bit towards the passenger side. Went on so easy. Took longer to get it out of the box and unwrap it.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 AM

What do you guys think about the "don't do any more than 1k of trailer towing miles per year" statement in the manual??
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by txbass06
I won't buy anything from Harbor Freight if I plan on using it more than once...
I know that the trailer is decent if you don't overload it because I know of quite a few people that use it to transport their motorcycles. If assembled properly and not overloaded, they work just fine. I would definitely get the larger wheels though as they will last longer and can carry more weight than the tiny skinny standard 4.80X8" tires. There are some decent 8" trailer tires for small trailers, but they are wider than the crappy ones that harbor freight uses. My motorcycle trailer uses 5.70X8 and they have nearly the same loading capacity as the 4.80X12 tires you can get from harbor freight.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Go to carry-ontrailer.com
They have multiple size selections, are sold at Lowes and lots of other retail stores.
Much better trailer than what you get at Harbor, IMO, and I did alot of research comparing prices.
I somewhat agree with the concept of "disposable" items at Harbor, I do buy there but don't expect long term use of their foreign made products.
That's how they can sell for such reasonable prices.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lee Wallace
What do you guys think about the "don't do any more than 1k of trailer towing miles per year" statement in the manual??
I'll never get that many miles towing in a year, maybe never. Only time I use my featherlite is to carry something big home from Home Depot or something. I did use it to transport my old riding mower when I sold it, but that was only aobut 20 miles away. Only one road trip with it, and that was to my dad's old house to carry some of the stuff to the dump.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 AM

gm smoke

Originally Posted by Lee Wallace
sounds like someone at gm was smoked up......if i keep the hhr 20yrs and tow 1000 miles a year , or if i tow 20,000 miles in 1 year what is the difference ? none , unless i change the fluid and filter annually .....or maybe the tranny is magical
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 AM

You can also check craigslist for a used trailer. I got mine for less than that Harbor Freight Trailer and it has real 15" car tires on it. Not those dinky lawnmower wheels.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM

Got to agree with catdaddy.......kind of a weird "restriction".

Quick Reply: Need advice on a good trailer