General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need help for wiring HHR so I can tow behind motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Question Need help for wiring HHR so I can tow behind motorhome

Well, what can I say but this forum has been a great help to us in deciding to get our HHR. We just brought her home yesterday and we are so happy. She's a 2008 Black HHR Panel and she will match our motorhome perfectly.

We are stuck on what to do for wiring her up to the motorhome. I've read posts about adding additional wiring and putting another bulb in the rear. I've also read about tapping into the existing wiring system. Has anyone done this and could you please provide us some insight on which is best. Tapping into the existing system seems alittle difficult and we don't want to screw up the existing electrical system. We already have the cable that runs between the motorhome and the HHR because we had a previous tow vehicle so we will hopefully be able to use the same 6pin (?) round connector.

We've got to install the Roadmaster base plates on her and that looks like quite a project. Hope to get them ordered today. We also have a Brake Buddy that we need to get wired in but that shouldn't be to bad.

Any advice to getting her ready to hit the road would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by RV Pusher; 09-16-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Wiring

Pusher,
I just had this done on my 07. Same Base Plate and connector. They had to run a separate wire for each brake light from the electrical connector. They also had to put on a diode's on each brake light line. If they did not do this the brake light was not bright enough during the day and with the diode it does not try and go through the whole system.
We purchased the Patriot braking system instead of the brake buddy. It kinda came as a bundle. We had an RV service company install it all just to make sure all was working and done correctly.
The only question mark I have is about the braking system, the front of the seat is made of hard plastic, yet it is pliable. So after plugging in the braking system and testing it. it does push the plastic on the seat back, thus the arm that push on the brake pedal is not pushed as much until the resistance on the front portion of the seat is at the max.
I hope this is clear. Have fun and enjoy the HHR.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:43 PM

I had my 2007 setup when it was new, had a Blue Ox base plate installed, and yes its quite a bit of work. The front end facade needs to be removed for access to the frame points to connect. I use a Blue Ox towbar. As far as wiring, GM has a diode kit so you can use the cars existing lights etc. For brakes, I installed the US Gear system, uses the cars own power braking system, has its own vaccume pump to maintain vaccume in the system, and the best part is to activate it, it just needs to be plugged into the motor home. I get a green light on the motor home dash control and its good to go. Have been using this for three and a half years, with no problems with any of it. We are currently out now, will be heading home on Friday.

Oh and to avoid having to remove fuse 8 every time I hooked up, I installed a fuse switch, so I need only turn it off, to disable fuse 8, which shuts off things like the radio, srs system, and the odometer. Much easier.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Lights

I had my local mechanic run a wire from the front of the car underneigth and to the rear lights. I installed two diodes on each side to keep from feeding back into the car electric system. Works great.

I considered using magnetic lights and placing them on the roof above the tailgate each time I tow and running a wire to plug into the motor home. This would be the easiest.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM

The diodes should be fine, they have been working in mine for over three years with no problems. Much cleaner than having to use external lights every time you tow.