General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need some help, look at your firewalls for me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Deceased

No pics because the light in the garage is too poor, but here's what I found on my three.

2006 LS...very small ripples there, you can feel them more than see them with a flashlight.

2007 LS...no ripples at all, smooth both to the touch and visually.

2011 2LT...some ripples, more "wrinkly" than the '06 both in feel and appearance.

Gotta be something to do with the stamping process or the dies, just one of those things I guess.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

So if you add mine to the herd it's an '09, makes it 50 / 50, wrinkly or smooth.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 AM

I just had to look, my ‘06 does not seem to have any ripples. None to see and I dont really feel any either.

Makes me wonder what day your doner car was stamped out. I've heard bad things about cars made on Monday, Friday, and weekend work too.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Awesome to verify fellas and help combat this deal for me .

It's clearly formed, not a ripple from the collision but these people are out to make the vehicle a total loss. Some people don't understand airbags, nor that they don't need to go off for EVERY collision. The vehicle did as designed and is being repaired per GM structural guidelines.

Thanks again, appreciate a forum that goes above and beyond.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM

If you asked me, I would speculate that the stamping of sheet metal in the 21st century should yield parts that are rigorously uniform. There should be zero departure from the intended shape. It seems likely that the firewall stampings with slight ripples in them were made in or on a different pattern than the ones with a smooth appearance. Apparently GM engineers concluded that this situation did not pose a threat to the overall structural integrity of the HHR. The firewall is not often looked at, except by body shop personnel.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Might be easier if Joe would post a pic of his firewall so we could all compare.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
Hi,

Just checked out my 2010 SS 5spd LSD/Brembo and it is indeed rippled. I have had the car since 3 miles on the odometer, no accidents. If you look close at the photo, you can see where I rubbed my finger through the dust across the ripples. They are very slight and maybe 1/32" in height. To me, they look like part of the forming process of the firewall when it was stamped.

Chris
Originally Posted by firemangeorge
These are both VERY awesome, and great assistance!

Originally Posted by AceMan
Might be easier if Joe would post a pic of his firewall so we could all compare.
I posted the customer's in which is the concern. My personal HHR's is smooth unfortunately.