General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New here---towing jet ski??? (don't laugh)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM

Yeah, well now I AM a little freaked out. (It's a girl thing---plus I just learned to back a trailer--with success and a lot of practice w/ my Blazer).

Needless to say, even though the water levels are down, the grade is not
any more steep than they used to be. They are just very LLLoooongg!
When they extended them they added extra traction to the concrete
and therefore are better than they used to be.

I will still be freaked though, when I put it in for the first time and will have
someone with me (hopefully with a winch attached to my HHR) and hopefully
all will go well.

The girl I bought it from moved to Germany, but she used to launch it with
her Mustang.

Keep the input coming.

Pitt
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Do the 09's have trac control? If so then no problem....
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Yes it does.

Do you really think that will help?
I am so used to 4WD.

Pitt
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 AM

I doubt traction control will help you, but Try and see what happens its the best way to find out.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 AM

I have heen towing sailboats for over 30 years. I currently pull a 450 pound boat with my HHR and go on some steep ramp. I think you will be fine. The real issue is when you back down the ramp go slow. You will need to make sure you can stop with the jet ski in the water and before getting the HHR in trouble. Once the jet ski is off the trailer there should be no more that 25 pounds on the hitch (assuming you trailer balance is set correctly for 250 lbs). That should not affect the traction pulling out even with the trailer and the water resistance.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 AM

You can tow with Auto but not with stick.

Last edited by Bob B; 08-15-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bob B
You can tow with Auto but not with stick.Towing is cover in the owner manual
wow, just wow.....but not towing jetskis on a steep incline, with the added drag of water on the jetskis when you are done having fun w/ them.

I am assuming you are trying to be helpful, but...?! I would assume she read the owner's manual just by what she has said in her op and following post. she was just wondering if anyone had towed a jetski w/ an hhr. My manual said nothing about jetskis and going in and out of water, if yours did please share. Not trying to be a d***, but she had a very legit question and I cant blame her for asking. ??!!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Founding Member

I saw an HHR towing two sea-doo's on a trailer up the Arbuckle Mountains in Oklahoma about 2 months ago. He could only do about 50 up the mountain, and this is not a really big mountain by any means. I blew by him doing 80.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 09_SS
wow, just wow.....but not towing jetskis on a steep incline, with the added drag of water on the jetskis when you are done having fun w/ them.

I am assuming you are trying to be helpful, but...?! I would assume she read the owner's manual just by what she has said in her op and following post. she was just wondering if anyone had towed a jetski w/ an hhr. My manual said nothing about jetskis and going in and out of water, if yours did please share. Not trying to be a d***, but she had a very legit question and I cant blame her for asking. ??!!
But she didn't say if she had auto or manual. Makes a BIG differnce. I think it was good to point that out.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Ive had the experience with weight slippery surface and trac control...2 100+ St Bernards plus gear(all rear weight) and 2 people doing a weeklong cabin trip in the mountains..it was raining so the dirt road was muck, and steep..failed the climb the first time, 3/4 way up it stopped and tires just spun, backed down, put it in 1st and started up, this time i rolled into it all the way to the floor. What happened is, the trac control took ovr and cut my RPMs down to just a crawl. It pulled me right up with no problem.
It gets to me all the people who say you can't do something when they them selves have never tried.(Or won't). It was a legit question...lets compare this to an empty mini truck puling the same trailer, do they have problems?They have less weight in the rear then we do and we all know a puller has more success then a pusher on bad surfaces or a steep incline.(Frnt vs rear drive).Even a stick should be able to...manual says not recommended, not " you absolutly cannot". The gearing is pretty good for a slow take off.. If your afraid to try then you have nothing to say.
And remember, she is PULLLING the weight, not actually carrying it. You can't lift 200 lbs but you sure can pull it easily enough in a wagon!!

Quick Reply: New here---towing jet ski??? (don't laugh)