General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New to me 2011 HHR 2LT 2.4 Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:25 PM

New to me 2011 HHR 2LT 2.4 Need some help

So I've scanned the forums and have a few things I could use pointers on please. This is all for a new to me 2011 2lt I bought at an estate sale last weekend with under 40K miles. Former owner was meticulous and I have all the service records and purchase records. The vehicle may have sat for 6-12 months before I acquired it. She's had completed servicing and new tires at 30K so other than a alignment/balance/rotate and oil change, I think I'm into cosmetic stuff.

Remote Start: There's only 3 buttons on the fob and I want it. Searching the RPO's I find that she's a Hertz rental and has no AP3 or any other code I could find that has to do with remote start. I could not find the enable remote start in the DIC customization menu. Tried the lock, lock & panic and got nothing (I know that was more for 2008 and prior models but it was worth 3 clicks to make sure!) I've seen the posts about grounding one of the wires, but I got confused.... Is my best/only option other than having remote start professionally installed?

Backup camera and viewing: I've had an HHR before and I've seen the comments about one shouldn't need this. It would be a good addition for when my car is packed with dogs and equipment. I'm assuming I just get the radio replaced with one that has an LCD, I don't want to have navigation, I use my phone for that. But I don't want to lose my bluetooth capability. Recommendations for a specific unit? I've also considered the one that displays in the review mirror so thoughts on that too?

Cause I want them: Where can I get replacements for those little rubber pieces that were in the door handles and cup holders?

Weird thing I noticed: When I shut the driver's door, it sounds hollow or light. It's not as much of a thud as any of the other doors.

Interior protection: I mentioned dogs... I show dogs...This means that I have wire dog crates and other items that are put in and taken out occasionally. My previous HHR (2006 drove new till 2019) had a lot of damage to the plastic trim because of this. Since this one is so pretty, I want to protect all the plastic and the header as much as possible. I've ordered weathertech for the floor mats. I am looking at the Ultimate Pet Liner by cargoliner. Anyone installed one of these and what has been your experience? Any ideas to protect the header?

Lastly... since she's been sitting probably 6 to 12 months, I've just put in the first tank of gas. Should I get any sort of fuel additive for the first few tanks?

Thanks so much!!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:19 PM

If you need remote start you will need to install aftermarket. 2011 is not hackable.
backup camera kits are available with the screen in the mirror
junkyard, maybe GM
There is supposed to be a piece of insulation in the fender. If it is there you can see it with the door open.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Administrator

I’ve got a former Hertz rental a 2011 2LT , no remote start, which my 2007 had , and after a month I stopped missing it.
rear view cameras and rear view mirror are much more easy to install then a new head unit.
As for the headliner , I got nothing, maybe I’ll think of some thing
Old 08-06-2020, 10:11 AM

There are more vendors who will screw up you car with a remote start retrofit than there are ones who will get it right. And it’s generally stupid expensive. Make sure you really need it.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:23 AM

I do need the remote start. I have a couple of medical issues that make getting into a hot or cold car very difficult for me. I live in Kansas......It gets hot here.

I am thinking about this kit. Will be looking for a vendor in the Lawrence, KS or KC area soon.

http://www.viper.com/car/remotestart...e-start-system
Old 08-06-2020, 11:16 AM

You would need to speak with an experienced installer. On the HHR it is not a simple thing. I can't find any installation instructions. There should be some anywhere there is a military base or medium size city or college. Try radio installers, window tinters, car customizers etc. I would try to buy the unit on ebay or Amazon and have it installed, probably save money; if they will do it.

I did a quick GoOgle search and found more than 10 places in Lawrence,KS. Shop around, ask specific questions (like have they ever done a HHR. not have they ever done a Chevy). If they will install your parts ask for a detailed parts list.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:11 PM

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EKP9RD...-specific.html

Old 08-09-2020, 05:00 PM

The iDatastart CMHCXA0 module seems to be the ticket for remote start. You can use your OEM fobs and the T-harness looks like just as much work as splicing.

$150 for the part and I would figure 2 hours skilled labor. A lot of the labor is in the computer programming part.

If you want the extended range and 2-way you can add a module with new fobs.