General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New York CARB compliant catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 11:28 PM

I live in New York.

Stupid emissions test. But at least that's another option for me to consider so thank you very much!!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jessicasdd
I'm done, too! This is why I stopped commenting on my other post.

I'm not asking anyone here for advice on fixing any issues. It's all done. So please can we just focus on the question I asked.

Thank you!!
The OP asks for free help but bluntly declines to share their experience by answering questions that they do not see as directly relevant to the immediate problem. That’s not how these forums work best. It’s also unwise because there may be things the OP didn’t think of, unless they’re infallible, but then they wouldn’t be here.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:20 AM
Administrator

I’m not seeing any answers to her questions, just knocking at the door!
please if you have suggestions for the parts she wants post them!
The Magnaflow item posted us for a 2008 HHR SS TC

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-19-2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:21 AM

Thank you OldBlue!!

I've already taken care of everything else. I went back and forth with everyone on this forum last year trying to fix my car and not one person suggested what the actual issue ended up being. So I am mot asking for help fixing my car. I've already fixed everything else. I now need a new cat so that is my focus. Why everyone else is so worried about anything else is beyond me. My mechanic said I need a cat so that is what I am looking for recommendations for.

Yes, I did notice that the Magnaflow was not the correct one for my HHR but I was able to look up the correct one while on the site. I little more than I can afford right now but an option none the less.

Thanks,
Jessica
Old 01-19-2022, 07:34 AM

Thanks for letting us know what the resolution was. Double secret!
My suggestion is still buy what you want. You obviously have access to the same internet all of us have.
Sorry for my concern about you wasting money.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I know Jessica, she’s done her homework, and has to fix or replace parts when she can afford it.
So, the one year old catalytic converter, has either died or wasn’t CARB certified, and was killed or poisoned by oil, antifreeze or other engine emission. That explains why the warranty isn’t an option.
Now, I’m just going to trust Jessica that she needs a C.A.R.B. Certified catalytic converter, she knows why and my speculation isn’t relevant, and asked us a simple question.
I read in the RockAuto site and the magnaflow site about the California and other state specific requirements, so if in NY , then get a correct part.
That brings me to a suggestion for you Jessica, what about a used one ? Is that a remote possibility?
as for everyone else, once the catalytic converter is installed and run for awhile , how does the inspector determine if it’s a certified part? Is the pipe or catalytic converter stamped? Is there a test from the exhaust stream for gases percentage levels?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Please leave this thread open, thank you.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:37 AM

For those of you that want to know what was wrong you can read through this thread. Good luck!!
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...ecotech-64118/

After the proper fuel rail was installed all of the monitors set except for catalyst and evap. After anywhere between 70 and 180 miles the catalyst will finally read and it throws code P0420. Every time I reset it I get the same results. My mechanic said the cat needs to be replaced. So I am looking for a cat. I've looked online at a couple but sometimes other people can find things better so was just looking for some recommendations. Or if you are in a state that requires a CARB certified cat like me, what would you put on your car?

Thanks,
Jessica
Old 01-19-2022, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Hmm perhaps RJ can comment, he’s in California.

I’m sure others from NY state can comment.

just for those who need to see the code , it’s causes and diagnosis, repairs,

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

I’m sure the O2 sensors have been addressed
Old 01-19-2022, 09:45 AM

Have a look at this
https://zzperformance.com/products/o2-bung-extender

The reviews say it prevents getting the p0420.

I don't have the p0420 code, but I've been looking at this because the new downpipe has the o2 sensor located such that the wire is contacting the sheet metal of the car. I have not had a smog check yet since the downpipe was replaced.

My smog check will be fingers crossed. The ECM is tuned, which, starting this year, California says will be an automatic fail. I have the downpipe, which is not stamped CARB(I've read that the stamp isn't required anymore).

I think I'll get one of these and try.

Quick Reply: New York CARB compliant catalytic converter