General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

No Block Heater on SS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM

No Block Heater on SS?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but just realized (have a pending purchase of a new SS as of yesterday, finalized by Wed.) that I didn't see the option for a block heater for the SS, as was on there for the LS or LT, before I signed the deal.

I guess I just assumed at the SS trim level it was standard, but after more thought today, that that didn't make sense either.

Sure enough, not an option on the SS according to chevrolet.com.

Having never owned a turbocharged engine before, I assume the tubro technology of the engine doesn't allow for it?

Not a deal breaker, but I live in a climate where that would be used 4 or 5 days a year.

So is there a technical reason, or just GM not seeing a need to add it to that engine? Furthermore, if its the latter, can it be added at a dealer after the fact?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM

ask the dealer to install it
Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Add wolverine oil pan heaters...
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by CGYHHRSS
Sure enough, not an option on the SS , can it be added at a dealer after the fact?
Good eye! When you are talking to them again would you find out why not and/or how much for a dealer install, I would think they should be at least optional in Canada. The 2.0 L design comes from Europe (I think) and was previously used in the Sky (might not need a block heater as it is not a winter type car) but that engine is going in the Cobalt SS and they will should need them.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Ok, not being familar with turbocharged engines, I wondered if that factor had anything to do with it.

I'll ask the dealer before I sign the final papers.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 AM

Just had a thought but what is the main purpose of a block heater? Is it to keep the oil from getting too thick which would make it harder to flow thru the engine and possibly cause damage? If that is the primary reason then perhaps block heaters aren't needed with SS's since they come/require mobil one synthetic oil which doesn't suffer from low temperature issues?

From the mobil one website:

"Excellent high- and low-temperature performance.

* Pours at temperatures as low as -53ºF and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400ºF. "
Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum, but just realized (have a pending purchase of a new SS as of yesterday, finalized by Wed.) that I didn't see the option for a block heater for the SS, as was on there for the LS or LT, before I signed the deal.

I guess I just assumed at the SS trim level it was standard, but after more thought today, that that didn't make sense either.

Sure enough, not an option on the SS according to chevrolet.com.

Having never owned a turbocharged engine before, I assume the tubro technology of the engine doesn't allow for it?

Not a deal breaker, but I live in a climate where that would be used 4 or 5 days a year.

So is there a technical reason, or just GM not seeing a need to add it to that engine? Furthermore, if its the latter, can it be added at a dealer after the fact?

How far up are you? I had them on my cars when I lived in Alaska.. Heater blankets, Electric dipsticks and the whole thing.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Update:
Picked up my SS today, and the salesman said that he doesn't think there is room in the compartment, as the turbocharger is attached to the back of the block, where the block heater would usually be.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Update:
Picked up my SS today, and the salesman said that he doesn't think there is room in the compartment, as the turbocharger is attached to the back of the block, where the block heater would usually be.
What about the electric dipstick. plus the fact if your that far up, we usually ran straight 5 weight oil along with it.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Update:
Congratulations on the SS. I think there is a great deal of validity to the synthetic oil theory, not so much about the salesman’s load of crap; for one thing the block heater usually goes in to a frost plug on the side of the engine. I was at my dealer on Monday and asked the partsman and he looked at his film (and I quote); “ The block heaters are not listed by engine size so I can’t find it listed”