General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

OBD II Readers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:16 AM

OBD II Readers

Has anyone had any experience with the OBD II reader from Harbor Freight? I saw one in there the other day that I can get for about $40.00,I won't be using it much. Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM

I have one from HF. I think I paid $89 on sale. It will not download the latest updates from the Internet. It does read simple codes and clears them, however, it seems like I always need a much better reader that I use at work. I suggest you read the reviews on th H F website. Once again, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM

I use a Scanguage in the HHR I would rather see the tach and speed in numbers rather than watching the needle. It also scans codes and can be used as a trip computer. A little bit more than an obd2 reader but I think it is worth it. It can also be transferred to other vehicles that use obd2.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM

If you have a smart phone you can get an ELM327 Bluetooth code reader then download the Torque app to your phone and use that to read and reset codes.

I have an old StraighTalk phone that has the app on it that I use all the time in my HHR.

I paid for the Torque app at the google play store but there is a free version too. There are several free ones that will at least allow you to read the code if not let you reset them on amazon app store too.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:47 PM

I have a generic ELM327 reader that I got from Meritline for about $14, it works well for codes, and fairly well for the live instrumentation on Torque, though it has a tendency to lock up after a few days if I leave it plugged in.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:04 PM

The StraightTalk phone used to be my kids phone but she got one on a plan and gave me the old one. When I got around to deciding to use it as a phone straight talk decided the sim card in it was to old so I just got a whole new phone instead.

I downloaded the app to the memory card in my new phone then put that into the old phone. It works quite well for what I use it for and if I go where there is a wifi hotspot I can do many other things with it too.

Since I am not using it as a phone it doesn't matter too much if someone decides to steal it, I will be meeved but that's about all. I also have the app on my new phone so I wouldn't be out much,...

I also have a ton of music on the 32 mb card that I can play through the stereo with the mp3 charger with the built in FM stereo transmitter. The transmitter thing can also take several memory devices and play whatever music you might have on them. It was under $5.00 on eBay. It also has Bluetooth in it so it will pair with my new phone to be a hands free phone device.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:54 PM

Purchased several cheap ones, including the one from Harbor Freight, then a not so cheap PLX Kiwi Bluetooth while trying to diagnose my old Hyundai Accent, none of which I would recommend.

Between cheap readers, shipping charges, & return shipping charges on the PLX, I probably spent almost $300 before I finally purchased an OBDLink MX Bluetooth, which I love so far.... but it costs about $100.

All of the cheap ones ($30 or less 5 total) stopped working after a week or two, the PLX stopped working after 5 weeks right when I needed it most Then it took 6 weeks for PLX to return the unit, which still didn't work, needles to say I was really pissed off. When I tore the PLX apart after it still wouldn't work, & PLX all but refused to refund my money, I found a broken solder point.

YMMV

Thanks to the OBDLink MX, I think I'll have the Accent running next payday (for about $100) & hopefully sell it for about $700 - $1200 instead of junking it for $250 at my local scrap yard as I was going to do.