General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

OBDII output

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 AM

OBDII output

Just for general knowledge, of which I have none :-) For curiosity sake I plugged in my cheap Actron code reader and pulled up the full list of signals coming from the OBD - speed, throttle position, cat temp etc. What I didn't see what anything oil related - temp or pressure. The reason I'm asking is I've always wanted to put a pressure gauge in for the oil - I'm just used to a full instrumentation dashboard. And the *easiest* way to do that without putting senders on the engine is to pull from the OBD with any number of "electronic deashboards" available. But I'm really surprised there isn't anything being reported oil related - is that a thing? Oh, 2010 panel, if that makes a difference.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:21 AM
Administrator

I’ve only seen an oil pressure gauge installed with a tee from the sending unit location by the starter and the capillary hose routed thu the firewall to the gauge in the A pillar garnish moulding

Like this one from ZZP, but the you have a hole there for another gauge, or find an SS garnish with just one hole to mount a gauge

This gives a part number

Old 07-31-2021, 12:59 PM

There is something, I would think it's a sensor, in the side of my LDK/LHU oil pan. I don't know if it's oil level or temperature. The ECM is probably not set up to recognize it, even if I were to install a wiring harness for it. It was not on the original LNF engine. Might be something to investigate.

EDIT: Seems to be oil level sensor.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 07-31-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to read up on how folks install an oil pressure gauge. I have a boost A-pillar garnish from an SS (and the gauge, if anyone wants it). I've read people pulling from a plug on the top of the galley at the back of the engine, and teeing off the OE sensor. I'm just very surprised that the ECM isn't programmed to read pressure; I mean, how does the idiot light know to come on if you lose it? It must be just a simple open/close circuit if that's the case.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:18 PM
Administrator

The idiot light is triggered by the oil pressure sensor down in by the starter .
Old 07-31-2021, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The idiot light is triggered by the oil pressure sensor down in by the starter .
Yes, I know that. But that pressure sensor just must be a basic on/off switch. Lose enough pressure, circuit closes and you get the light. Would be nice to have an actual pressure reading switch there.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Yes, that would be , however the pressure sensors like in my 1984 Trans Am was big and bulky and leaked after about 18 months of use.
I would think the circuit would go thru the BCM , so installing one of those sensors probably would cause problems.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:49 PM

The EOP (engine oil pressure) sensor is a normally closed switch. Engine off, no pressure, switch closed. when it gets low enough to close again the light goes on.
I have seen kits that use an electronic sensor. It would not be terribly difficult to put in a tee and keep the OE sensor and plug an electronic one into the other hole run wire done.

This one pops up as first "featured" on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-31-2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The EOP (engine oil pressure) sensor is a normally closed switch. Engine off, no pressure, switch closed. when it gets low enough to close again the light goes on.
I have seen kits that use an electronic sensor. It would not be terribly difficult to put in a tee and keep the OE sensor and plug an electronic one into the other hole run wire done.

This one pops up as first "featured" on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Tin...7782455&sr=8-3
That seems to be an option explored by the 'tuners' on the Cobalt pages. I'm certainly not opposed to a T, though space might be at a premium. Removing one of the plugs from one of the oil galleries seems to be a favored method (typically, the passenger side front, under the intake) but I question the quality of the readings. Isn't there a plug right underneath the oil filter housing?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:02 PM

Yes, the oil pressure sensor!

Quick Reply: OBDII output