General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oh, that used car smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh, that used car smell

Anyone have experience with the deodorizers used on used cars? I'm looking at an '09 now that doesn't seem to have been smoked in or anything, but the dealer deodorized it and I don't like that cherry sticky sweet smell.

He says it'll be gone in two days. I'm not sure.

So I come to ask the collective wisdom of the Internet: Will this smell subside or will it always smell like a used car? Also, is there anything I can use to deodorize it from being deodorized?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Nope, but I'd suggest:

Feel the carpet under each door & make sure they are dry.. After rubbing the carpet with your hands, smell your hands, do they smell moldy ?

Sometimes too much fancy smell might be masking something else..

just my .02
Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Nope, but I'd suggest:

Feel the carpet under each door & make sure they are dry.. After rubbing the carpet with your hands, smell your hands, do they smell moldy ?

Sometimes too much fancy smell might be masking something else..

just my .02
And if it has a sunroof, there's a chance it could have leaked once....
Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 PM

yeah, I'd be careful. A car that new shouldn't need that much perfume. Might be trying to hide something.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Pull your cabin air filters too and replacement them.

The smell could be a cover up or totally innocent. You won't know for a week or so.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Ask the dealer these specific questions. Did the sunroof leak; is there water damage of any kind; Why did the previous owner sell the car; can I see the carfax report.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 PM

There was also issues with mildew in the air conditioning system. Mine had to be "deodorized" three times.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
Ask the dealer these specific questions. Did the sunroof leak; is there water damage of any kind; Why did the previous owner sell the car; can I see the carfax report.
Give Brad (ChevyMgr) the Vin, and he can run it to see what warranty work has been done on it.

Sorry Brad, I'm just going to volunteer you...
Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM

The detail guy also my just be spraying it in each car he has to do. He is paid to spray not to think.

I may be an issue it may not be an issue.

Unless there was an ashtray cup that shows signs of smoking there is no way to know if someone did or did not smoke. If it was a used enterprise car they all stink no smoking or mildew.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks All for the responses. Yeah, I'm going to try to find out more about it. It's an '09 for 10,900 with 25,000 miles. It's an LT, but the absolute most basic form of that trim. I think the power seat is the only thing that really differentiates it from an LS (not like the LT's of '06 and '07)

Other than smelling a little "over detailed," the car was extremely straight. I think I might go for it tomorrow.

Thanks again,
AM

Quick Reply: Oh, that used car smell