General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oh, that used car smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM

Febreze works well.....providing no other problems are discovered...of course.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Re good and bad odors, my 23 year old Silverado still smells like "new Chevy" when you open the doors today. It stayed that way from keeping the interior dry, free of "porous" materials (clothes, rags, etc) and the doors/windows closed.

Last spring, I had a mouse build a nest in the cowl area where the defroster intake resides. It smelled like a barnyard when you turned on the defrosters. My wife and I cleaned the nest out, sprayed FeBreeze into the ducts and cowl, then frequently used the blower. We retreated it with FeBreeze over the course of a week or two, then stopped.

To make a long story longer, the mouse smell dissapated, the FeBreeze smell went away and the truck smelled like "new Chevy" once again by the end of the summer.

So from my direct experience, odors bad and good slowly dissapate over time.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM

Febreeze, and/or an open box of baking soda...
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Hope you enjoy your new hhr if you buy it and that the smell is nothing more than to much spray. I would def check the carpet first and ask the details of the car.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Tip for changing your car's smell...

Here's a neat little tip for making your car smell like fresh laundry. Take a couple of new, unused dryer sheets and place them under the front seats. There are heater ducts down there, so when the heater is on it will blow warm air over them and make your car smell mountain fresh, or whatever scent your dryer sheets are.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 PM

Man, you guys ROCK and this site is GREAT.

When I picked up the car, it smelled smokey. The cherry deodorizer smell was gone, but I could smell smoke. Still went through with the deal and went straight to Pep Boys for some FeBreeze Auto and a detailing rag. Wiped the headliner with it, especially near the driver's window. Sprayed a bit all over and wiped it down.

The smell of that was OK....and it faded away over the course of the day.

Then, last night, I opened a big @ss can of cheap coffee and set it on the center armrests overnight.

Today, my wife and I took a ride, and it smelled like a cup of fresh brew for a bit, and then.....sniff, sniff,....nothing in particular! In fact, it has a really pleasant, non-smoker sort of aura to it.

In other words: I DID IT!!!!

Drove 145 miles to a job this evening and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. 2009 LT, 25,000 miles, $10,900....and about the nicest salesman I've ever dealt with (owner of a small lot in PA....Gardner Motors in Elizebethtown.....AWESOME!)

Thanks to all on this thread!

Mike
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Well Mike-

CONGRATS & Welcome to the HHR owners club !!!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Congratulations on the new ride glad you like it! Sounds like you got a good deal!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 AM

take a quick browse through my 2 year old thread...you'd be surprised what dealers leave behind when they "detail" cars.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/seat-removal-carpet-install-13261/

also, my GF told me that they run a deodorizer through the HVAC system, so your cabin air filter could be saturated with the funky-cherry. Just let it air out if you don't find buried treasure somewhere.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks!

And SW, good call. I should probably just change out the filter now that it's smelling good...just to be sure.

That was a great thread. I enjoyed seeing the floor pan naked. Makes me appreciate that i got my ebony interior the easy way though!!! :)

Quick Reply: Oh, that used car smell