General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil Filter Cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM

My Buick GMC dealer where I buy my filters sell them with the cap and seal all as one now... I don't think they even get any in without.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Eric- Why pay all the extra money for the cap ?

Auto Parts has AC Delco filters $4.99 (same as factory).. With the O-Rings
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Eric- Why pay all the extra money for the cap ?

Auto Parts has AC Delco filters $4.99 (same as factory).. With the O-Rings
No, I'm just saying, that's all they sell there now. The first time I wanted it because I needed a new cap... I stripped my old cap trying to get it off before I had the right tool. Now I just get them from another dealer. I think it's just up to the dealer whether or not to carry both, and this dealer just chooses not to I guess.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Just trivial info....

Actually CrazyKid, if I remember correctly, there is 3 ways the dealer can buy OUR AC oil filter. As you said, the filter, cap and o ring.....the filter in a AC box AND the filter in bulk which is in a small plastic bag with the AC symbol on a sticky tag.

By the way, I just noticed that Wal Mart is now carrying the AC oil filter for the HHR. But they have it priced MORE than the dealers retail...about $9.00. I might talk with someone there. That seems like a mistake.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Actually CrazyKid, if I remember correctly, there is 3 ways the dealer can buy OUR AC oil filter. As you said, the filter, cap and o ring.....the filter in a AC box AND the filter in bulk which is in a small plastic bag with the AC symbol on a sticky tag.
Would that explain why I've bought them before from the dealer, and they were made in some other country? Can't remember which one it said, but they had AC all over it, but it wasn't made in the US. Only had that happen twice, both times from the same dealer. Now where I normally get them they are all US made.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

No kid, that wouldn't be the cause.

I just purchased 3 from my dealer, in bulk....made in USA
I had purchased them before and they were Bulgaria, Germany, Mexico, and I believe Malaysia.

And if you noticed another post......I looked at boxed AC oil filter for the HHR in Walmart. They were over priced and made in USA.

I'm not sure what is happening with suppliers. When I was in this activity, GM mandated a minimum year contract with multi-year a plus. I suspect, now, with the present situation the company is in, either the suppliers will not accept contracts for more than several months, GM is hedging their bets on the economy and/or suppliers, or is a new mandate from the new leadership or the Administration.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM

What is the 'right tool' to get this cap off? Someone mentioned a socket... I have one the right size but couldn't get it on the cap (something in the way). I just did my first at home oil change and had to use an adjustable wrench. I bought a FRAM filter with the separate o-ring... noticed that the old o-ring was flattened when I took it out. Otherwise had no problems.
btw this is my first post... 08 HHR LT Mystic Blue w/chrome pkg.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 PM

I got a socket at Advanced that is meant for this, it's a shorty and was next to the oil and filters....... labeled for a 2.2 ecotec.