General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 05:32 PM

oil leak

Well, just got the call from the dealer on my 2010 HHR LS 2.2 w/5-speed manual.....at just under 100K miles. Took it in for them to look at the oil leak..they found it. Apparently on the ol' Ecotech, the block has a upper and lower section, with the lower holding the crankshaft. Seems the seam between the two sections is leaking. Repair consists of removing the engine and putting it on a stand, separating the two sections and resealing. They didn't even take the time to give the quote, saying the car is 12 years old. Yes, but it's paid for I say....
Besides, if this is a characteristic of this engine, why would I want to buy another car with the same design....and most of the cars they offer these days have some version of this engine.

Who the hell approved this type of design? I don't blame the guy who designed it....he (or she) was probably just following what they were told to do....but the guy who approved it....they probably get a new car every time the warranty expires so they don't think about what happens long term. Owned this car from new, so I know the history and it wasn't abused.

I've been a big "buy American" GM guy forever, but with so few cars left and fewer GM still that don't have this engine, it may be time to jump ship. I didn't mind replacing the LCAs a few times, or the ball joints when they failed on the LCAs...I like the way the car handled after putting in the Eibach anti-roll bars. Was pretty pissed when the gas line rusted out, but a local guy replaced it for a couple of hundred bucks. But pulling out and splitting the engine....WTF Chevy? I can't be the only guy out there that this has happened to, am I?

Can anyone recommend any good oil leak sealer? Why not I say.....
Old 05-05-2021, 05:57 PM

Never heard such a problem. Sealers would have no effect. Is it just annoying or are you losing a significant amount of oil?

I guess you could try scrubbing the area clean and applying RTV on the outside. Prep would mean everything.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Administrator

It could be the oil sender leaking, it was on my 2.2 2007. Shampoo your engine and have a look.
when the oil drips down it runs along that seam , appearing to be a leak.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by cloudhome
Well, just got the call from the dealer on my 2010 HHR LS 2.2 w/5-speed manual.....at just under 100K miles. Took it in for them to look at the oil leak..they found it. Apparently on the ol' Ecotech, the block has a upper and lower section, with the lower holding the crankshaft. Seems the seam between the two sections is leaking. Repair consists of removing the engine and putting it on a stand, separating the two sections and resealing. They didn't even take the time to give the quote, saying the car is 12 years old. Yes, but it's paid for I say....
Besides, if this is a characteristic of this engine, why would I want to buy another car with the same design....and most of the cars they offer these days have some version of this engine.

Who the hell approved this type of design? I don't blame the guy who designed it....he (or she) was probably just following what they were told to do....but the guy who approved it....they probably get a new car every time the warranty expires so they don't think about what happens long term. Owned this car from new, so I know the history and it wasn't abused.

I've been a big "buy American" GM guy forever, but with so few cars left and fewer GM still that don't have this engine, it may be time to jump ship. I didn't mind replacing the LCAs a few times, or the ball joints when they failed on the LCAs...I like the way the car handled after putting in the Eibach anti-roll bars. Was pretty pissed when the gas line rusted out, but a local guy replaced it for a couple of hundred bucks. But pulling out and splitting the engine....WTF Chevy? I can't be the only guy out there that this has happened to, am I?

Can anyone recommend any good oil leak sealer? Why not I say.....
i doubt seriously that silicon sealer will hold up in that situation. If you wind up doing it yourself or having it done....i would consider putting a thread around the perimeter, inside the bolt holes. We use to use silk thread for that on continental aircraft engines....also works excellent on air-cooled vw cases...no more leaks. Just make sure you dont scratch that machined surfaces sealing area