General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Ok, almost 800 miles so far.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM

I have already put 1200 miles on my HHR since Dec 31.
I bought it used.

the DIC says 88% oil life remaining...at this rate, I'll change the oil every 10k miles! (1200 miles...12% used...that's 1% per 100 miles)....no way I will wait that long.

I'll do it every 4-5k miles, since it has dino oil in it now. I will probably switch to Mobil1 5w-30 myself, and change the filter every 4k and the oil every 8k miles...

as for MPG...it is very hard for us to know if your car is acting normal.
use the DIC to reset the avg MPG at your next fill up. when you get down to 1/4 tank of gas, check the avg MPG and let us know.
If it's below 15, something may be wrong...but there is another factor people havent discussed...and that's idle time. I warm my cars up RELIGIOUSLY...I wait until the temp guage has moved...and since the HHR has an actual coolant temp reading, I wait for it to reach minimum 120 degrees before even selecting a gear.

warming up your car means sitting, idling...you DIC will detect 0 mpg at this time, which can/will significantly lower your average....so if you spend alot of time in traffic, or letting the car idle, dont expect to see high 20's in your MPG.

I have the best and the worst of mileage averages. I warm it up(0 mpg) and drive on the freeway alot for long distances(30+ mpg)....right now, after 1200 miles, I am at 29 mpg avg...I can go near 440 miles to empty...

tire pressure is important, as well as fuel grade.

averages are just that...the more factors you compile, the more involved the average becomes.
tire pressure
fuel grade
driving habbits
road conditions
traffic conditions
actions of right foot(on/off the throttle often, steady cruising, etc)

800 miles, while it may seem like weeks to some, that's about 6 days for me.