General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

OK, explain this then

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Like this?
Ya gotta start 'em young...!
It's a lot easier when it's your own kid and your company!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 PM

LOL - He's probably the only one here that can explain the switches.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
That's what we're talking about!

Many of us would like it changed...

My bad i read and re read it and thought it was about the defrost setting changing it to fresh air. I was confused. Yes i wanna see this change too. I guess we are screwed for the time being..
Old 05-26-2006, 08:28 PM

No, it's the PT Loser owners who are screwed - we're just inconvenienced!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:11 PM

The recirculate function resetting when the engine is shut off is perhaps a modern variation on "flow-thru ventilation" that has been in cars for years. They want to ensure outside air exchange. Possibly to control moisture build up. There may be other reasons.

As for the surprise some have expressed about not being able to select recirculate without the A/C being on, this has also been the case for quite some time but was called "max cool". That's the only difference between the normal cool and max cool in other cars. Max cool simply adds recirculation (and it's the only way you get air recirculation).
Old 06-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MikeX
So you all got me playing with the air controls. There is a button for recirculate air, a button for fresh air, and a knob for air control (face only, face and feet, feet only).

If you select either face or face and feet position you are allowed to select either recirc OR fresh air. However, I discovered that when you change the air direction knob to feet only, the system does NOT allow you to select recirc air. When you try to select recirc air, the little LED blinks a few times and goes right back to fresh air.

WHY?

Here is what the service manual says:

The HVAC control module controls the air intake through the recirculation actuator. Recirculation is not available when the mode is in bi-level through defrost. The operator must activate the blower for Recirculation operation. When recirculation is selected the A/C compressor will be engaged automatically.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
OK peace.

But I think I just figured out why the system won't let you use Recirc with the A/C on and only "feet" direction of air flow. Probably because it would form a tight loop down at the floorboard (cold air is blown out only down there AND is taken right back up down there) so this would prevent freeze-ups?

OK, back to modding.
Bingo! by George I think he's got it. It would short circuit the air flow. Not sure what your comment/question re: freeze-ups?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM

And the answer is...

I thought you might like to know the actual answer to your question. Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with foot odor??? Weird, huh...

Check out this service article for A/C technicians. It references GM vehicles with this issue. Although the article references early 2000's model trucks [I have an '03 Silverado with the same issue as you are experiencing], I think it will explain the situation.

Check out page 6 of this article:
http://refrigerants.dupont.com/Suva/...acs_200506.pdf
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
jx3

Name:  Shovel.gif
Views: 29
Size:  363 Bytes

Nothing like digging around in the archives!!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM

He probably doesn't even own an HHR anymore.

Quick Reply: OK, explain this then