General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

One year 8000 miles later

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

One year 8000 miles later

The HHR has been a GREAT car. Gas mileage has been 26 City 31 Highway

NO problems after the initial common issues for the 2006 year taken care of.

A co worker bought a used one and another is looking. I'm thinking of getting another for the wife. however. They are not as inexpensive as mine was used anymore. Can't believe what I paid for mine last year. Now they are getting that much for low mileage 1LTs.....

The resale value has apparently risen.....so I think we'll look at a Vibe or Matrix to accompany her Spyder. She is a musician and uses my car to carry her stuff to gigs. Its starting to bug me. LOL So off to the used car lots I go.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
A co worker bought a used one and another is looking. I'm thinking of getting another for the wife. however. They are not as inexpensive as mine was used anymore. Can't believe what I paid for mine last year. Now they are getting that much for low mileage 1LTs.....

The resale value has apparently risen.....so I think we'll look at a Vibe or Matrix to accompany her Spyder. She is a musician and uses my car to carry her stuff to gigs. Its starting to bug me. LOL So off to the used car lots I go.
That's interesting. I was looking at a couple of Corvettes today at a local Chevy lot and they had three HHR's in their "Under $200 a month" area. Maybe they're talking on a 72 month loan or something. They also had an awesome '75 Camper Special 1-ton with a 454 in it in the same area.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
That's interesting. I was looking at a couple of Corvettes today at a local Chevy lot and they had three HHR's in their "Under $200 a month" area. Maybe they're talking on a 72 month loan or something. They also had an awesome '75 Camper Special 1-ton with a 454 in it in the same area.
YOu would have to be seriously financially handicapped to take on a 70 month car loan. Shame on the dealers for offering those rip off loans, IF you cannot afford to pay off a car in three years one should seek a car they can,
Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 AM

YOu would have to be seriously financially handicapped to take on a 70 month car loan. Shame on the dealers for offering those rip off loans, IF you cannot afford to pay off a car in three years one should seek a car they can,
Dam dude you sound like my EX gf (CPA), I'm as hard on a dealer as the next guy. But if a car is warrantied for 7 years (100k) then why not pay over 6 years. An $800 a month note over 3 years for an SS is steep.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM

some dealers say under 200 but fine print is 20% Down 84 months
Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
Dam dude you sound like my EX gf (CPA), I'm as hard on a dealer as the next guy. But if a car is warrantied for 7 years (100k) then why not pay over 6 years. An $800 a month note over 3 years for an SS is steep.
Your EX is a very smart person. The idea is if one cannot afford $800 a month one should not buy the SS.
Simple economics.

Why not pay over 7 years? Because most people (by a huge margin) will not keep a car nearly that long and when they go to trade it they find they are upside down and have to roll the old loan into the new. It becomes a financial death spiral. For what? A "wow" for a year or two from others? MEh.

Its not about the warranty its about basic financial responsibility. The "warranty" is a gimmick used to SELL the 7 year loan. The older the car gets the more loopholes you will find with those "100k" warranties.

My car is out of warranty soon. Who cares? I never bought extended warranties and can actually sleep at night. I don't pay for "peace of mind" except against Major financial catastrophe. A very highly unlikely $2000 expense to fix a car is not in that category anymore. I warranty myself. We learned at a young age its far more rewarding to COLLECT interest rather than PAY interest even if it means never owning a "new" car and making sacrifices. My Ray Bans,Rolex, and Lexus is in the bank and thats where they will stay. LOL

Heck what do I know duuuude. I'm 47 married with a paid off 3 year old modest 1600SF home we had built and have zero debt on a HS education. My wife and I work part time and can still save a few dollars every month.
She drives a 2002 Spyder with 35K miles I found cheap and I the 2006 HHR and a bike. Life is good.......even without an "SS"

It does not take a CPA to understand the benefits of basic home economics and compounding interest over the long run.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Your EX is a very smart person. The idea is if one cannot afford $800 a month one should not buy the SS.
Simple economics.

I hear ya, but cashflow (in the accounting sense) is important also. Many a frugal business have "gone under" because of poor cashflow management.

Why not pay over 7 years? Because most people (by a huge margin) will not keep a car nearly that long and when they go to trade it they find they are upside down and have to roll the old loan into the new. It becomes a financial death spiral. For what? A "wow" for a year or two from others? MEh.

I said 6, or 72 months. All cars will be upside down as soon as you drive them off the lot. Even if you payed in 3 years or less. I guess I am in the minority. I didn't trade my s-10, and I don't plan on trading in my SS. The pain and withdrawls will be too great to bear.

Its not about the warranty its about basic financial responsibility. The "warranty" is a gimmick used to SELL the 7 year loan. The older the car gets the more loopholes you will find with those "100k" warranties.

I've never had problems. However i take care of what I drive. If you buy smart, you should not be trading cars every 5 years. Or they are toys not transportation. Not that I have a problem with toys.

My car is out of warranty soon. Who cares? I never bought extended warranties and can actually sleep at night. I don't pay for "peace of mind" except against Major financial catastrophe. A very highly unlikely $2000 expense to fix a car is not in that category anymore. I warranty myself. We learned at a young age its far more rewarding to COLLECT interest rather than PAY interest even if it means never owning a "new" car and making sacrifices. My Ray Bans,Rolex, and Lexus is in the bank and thats where they will stay. LOL

I commend you for that. I lost a nice pair of raybans, I prefer brietling, a lexus is an overpriced toyota.

Heck what do I know duuuude. I'm 47 married with a paid off 3 year old modest 1600SF home we had built and have zero debt on a HS education. My wife and I work part time and can still save a few dollars every month.
She drives a 2002 Spyder with 35K miles I found cheap and I the 2006 HHR and a bike. Life is good.......even without an "SS"

If everyone could live within their means, our country would definately be better off. But the SS makes life that much more fun to live

It does not take a CPA to understand the benefits of basic home economics and compounding interest over the long run.

True. She never did agree with me. She was too "risk adverse". Although she doesnt have a problem asking me to repair her 1998 golf when pieces fall off, or when that "german engineering" rears it's ugly underbelly in ridiculous repair cost.

I do say I never see rich CPA's ....or poor one's.
I'll end up one or the other in life, and have a lot more fun in the process
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

That isn't always true. I bought my 04 Colorado crewcab 4x4 on the 72 month loan and also added the 6/72 extended warranty. Kicker was at the time GM was having their 3 day 0% loans. My money stayed in the bank and drew interest while I drove the truck interest free.
==============
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
That isn't always true. I bought my 04 Colorado crewcab 4x4 on the 72 month loan and also added the 6/72 extended warranty. Kicker was at the time GM was having their 3 day 0% loans. My money stayed in the bank and drew interest while I drove the truck interest free.
==============
I agree with you there, If it's what you want (a truck is usually kept a loner time than a car) AND you can get it without paying interest thats a slam dunk deal because it actually is a "cash deal. And you cannot get those deals one used vehicles (although due to depreciation, the interest you made is probably not as much as the depreciation you) However those "interest free" loans come with many potholes. You miss a payment due date by a day, the interest gets charges from the beginning of the loan on some of those contracts. My Bike AND my car cost less then a a similarly equipt NEW HHR!!!! Throw in the wife's Spyder and we have less than $30K "invested" in three vehicles with very low miles with no payments. Some people owe that on just ONE car!!!!! Thats because we never bought exactly what we "wanted" but bought what was really really close........LOL Good enough.

You really have to stay on top of the payment and hope you don't run into a financial pitfall elsewhere in your life.

I buy used because in my case I saved well over $5K on my car and three years later I have less than 20K miles on it. Makes not sense for us to buy new cars. we don't put the miles on. The time runs out on the warranty long before the mileage.

Some people have to "have it all now" as if they are going to die tomorrow.....The problem comes when they "DON'T die tomorrow" but have a change in their financial situation that makes them want to die....LOL A lot can change in a young person's life in even 60 months to create a financial Chaos and a damaged credit ratiing that will haunt them for a long long time in everything from getting new jobs to, buying homes and even insurance!!!