General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:12 PM

OnStar

So the 2009 HHRs come with OnStar standard. What is your opinion of OnStar? How much does it cost after the first free year? I've asked the dealer to see if I can order one without. I really don't like the second antenna.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:27 PM
ecl

Im not impressed with onstar and will most likely not pay for it after the free year. http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp
Old 09-14-2008, 03:29 PM

My year is up in Oct. 2008, just got the renewal letter.

$199 for one year, I don't need it that bad!!

Edit: If it was about half that I'd probably go for it.

TomR00
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Ya , i'll pass on renewal. 199.00 is about 140.00 more than i think it's worth.
IMO
Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 PM

$16 a month is a deal. lojack cost more and does so much less. my monte SS was stolen only after i owned it 5 days. onstar is the only reason i got it back in one piece. well, that is what the police said. they recovered it for sale at a ford dealer no less.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM

The first time you lock your keys in the car, you'll be very glad you have it.
I did and it basically paid for the yesr I paid for at $129.
SOunds nuts but I'm sold.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by c5gold
The first time you lock your keys in the car, you'll be very glad you have it.
I did and it basically paid for the yesr I paid for at $129.
SOunds nuts but I'm sold.
If the key is in the ign. you can not luck the door. If the key is tossed on a seat and you lock it in as I did with other vehicles, carrying a spare key on me is cheaper but you soon learn to make sure you have key in hand before locking your vehicle.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM

I think that $199. a year for onstar is a small amount to pay for the one time I might need it. My 99 Sub had it and I wish my 06 HHR had it. I just think that some people will pay Alot more $$ for a stereo or DVD. A in dash backup camera that will just entertain. But to get help or save your life no thats to much!

But I am a lot older and know that I am not superman or Houdini...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

As you can see by the previous posts OnStar is in the eyes of the beholder. To me it is a waste of money. I have been driving for over 45 years and never locked my keys in the car. I just don't see any use for it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM

My Onstar experience from my 2006 Impala
My only experience with Onstar came after I locked my keys in the car, while it was running. I called Onstar for assistance, and I was told I had let it lapse ( didn't wanna pay the $17 a month for nothing). I asked if I could re-instate immediately with my credit card over the phone. They told me I had to get in the car & push the blue button. I mentioned that if I could push that button, we wouldn't be having this conversation, I'm locked out! If you open the door, I'll gladly get in and push the button. Then said, nope can't do it that way, BUT your vehicle is covered by FREE road service, we'll switch you over. They put me on hold, few minutes go by, someone answers phone " Beavis & Butthead Hotline" This isn't GMAC service? "No, this is the Beavis & Butthead Hotline". I'm am almost insane at this point. I locked my keys in the car, running, they have the technology to push a button in some office and unlock my door, and they elect to send a tow truck out to try to pick the lock, during an ice storm in NJ. Anyway, towtruck shows up some 45 minutes later while ice storm is still raging, works at the passenger side with some kind of slim-jim, comes over 20 minutes later and says "I can't open it without breaking all the trim off"
So, I finally get on the phone, call my wife to bring out the spare keys, takes her an hour & a half, just to get close enough to push the "open" button the the spare remote. This was now an all-night occurance. did I get good mileage out of that tank? Think I trust Onstar ? Not with this life.

I think the $17 per month fee is excessive, I would hardly use it anyway, maybe for the once a year, lock the keys in the car scenario, Bt $204 a year is kinda expensive for that service. Anyone think it is worthwhile?

Quick Reply: OnStar