General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

OnStar to Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM

OnStar to Bluetooth?

I'm not sure where the best place to post this question is so I opted for the General area, if this isn't correct, please steer me in the right direction.

My 2008 Panel was a "Dealer special edition" according to the previous owner. It has every option I have read about for that year except for heated seats, which isn't an issue in San Diego :)

It has "OnStar" and I haven't subscribed to it and don't intend to, but it works so nice and clear through the sound system. If I hit the little phone icon on the mirror, my radio silences and a very clear voice says "OnStar Ready".

The OnStar microphone is in a perfect location in the headliner right above the mirror.

What I would like to do is somehow do away with OnStar completely and incorporate Bluetooth into that system since the OEM sound system that came with the Panel, doesn't have it.

Has anyone done this or know of a way to do it? Like which BT system I'd need to purchase and how to connect it?

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM

hi lokutus
check this website: http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/products.html
stan
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Wow, awesome product but the price is way to expensive.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/adding-bluetooth-2009-lt-31543/

Take a look at my adventure with bluetooth and onstar.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the helpful comments and links guys (or gals)

psblake: Your experience was very helpful. I take it that if I don't care about having OnStar, then all I'd need to do is locate the module used like you did, install it, and the bluetooth would work fine? Does the radio mute when you get an incoming call? Also, you mentioned "Steering wheel control" is that something that needs to be added or do you mean the one that's already there for OnStar?

One last question, where is the module located and how hard it is to get to?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Yes it is literally plug and play as far as bluetooth is concerned. When I plugged the module in the bluetooth worked immediately. You do not have to use the onstar function or even be signed up. When you have a paired phone in the car the default is to use your cell phone not onstar.

The radio mutes you call is heard over the speakers in the car and the mic installed in the ceiling is what the unit uses. Works great! Sounds Great!

I got mine at a junk yard and that is the best way to find one or on ebay. car-part.com will search all kinds of junk yards all over the country. I cannot guarantee that the same module will work in your car but it should. Look for a 2010 Cadillac STS module with bluetooth when you do the search.

It should work but if it does not most junk yards give you 30 days to return it. Got mine very cheap much less then new and aftermarket kits. PM if you want to know where I got it and for how much.

Oh yeah the steering wheel controls are to access the phone. But I think your phone button on your mirror should do the same thing. I would REALLY recommend adding the steering wheel controls if your going to do it right.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 PM

Great, Thanks!

I have steering wheel controls for the radio and there is a "mute" button that I believe also activates the OnStar, but I'm not sure about that. What steering where buttons did you need to install and did you get it from the same place as you got the module? Also, did you need to install a Bluetooth antenna?

I know, a lot of questions, sorry. Your help is really appreciated!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:55 AM

This is the steering wheel controls that I installed for the radio volume and the phone controls. The large button with the phone and mouth on it activates onstar or bluetooth the bottom button hangs up the phone.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Thank you!

I have the "stock" steering wheel controls for the radio, I wonder if I can somehow convert the large "mute" button to activate the Bluetooth?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM

If the large button activates onstar you r in business press it for 2 sec

Last edited by psblake; 03-11-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: OnStar to Bluetooth?