General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ONSTAR wont DEAL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 AM

I believe that OnStar is a great safety feature and back-up cell phone but when it comes to turn-by-turn it's much more intuitive to just get a Garmin.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 AM

i have yet to use Onstar for anything except a few phone calls. I don't know if i renew yet, but if they don't offer any deals, that it'll be a slim chance i keep it.

Having a cellphone is NOT the same as onstar if you keep it as a safety feature. I would have loved to have it in my Jimmy when a guy plowed into me going 60, i flipped the car a couple times and ended up landing on the side my my wife hanging from the top seat. Luckily we weren't injured and i was able to call 911 from within the car before the nice people who's yard i landed in helped us out the hatch in the back. If i had been pinned or if i hadn't had my phone hooked to my belt there was no way i would have been able to call.

So it does have a purpose for everyone saying you don't need it. It just depends on how great of a chance you feel you have of getting in a car accident.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 AM

I agree with all of you that Onstar is too expensive, but I renew the basic service every year for the "just-in-case" peace of mind. We have alot of hills and winding 2 lane roads here. Sometimes you cannot get a signal with a cellphone, and if your cellphone has been thrown around your vehicle in an accident, what good is that?

I have also used the red, Good Samaritan button to report dangerous debrie on the highway, as well an accident where a car two lanes over from us, suddenly ran down a ravine. We were not able to stop and render help as we were blocked in the lanes by other vehicles and couldnt pull off the road. The nearest exit to turn around was 5 miles away. Within a minute of hitting the red Onstar button, we saw police vehicles on the opposite side of the Interstate racing towards the ravine. Whether it was other people calling ,or the folks at Onstar alerting the police, the point is a call for help was able to be made.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 AM

I don't plan on renewing when it runs out. I prefer the Garmin for GPS and handsfree phone anyways.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Onstar also allows the government to wirelessly spy on you their leisure without a warrant as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM

I think Onstar would make more money by adding a prepaid per trip charge, just like the cell phone minutes.
for instance 5 trips a year for $20 and anything over 20 trips they have to pay by the month.
they would make more money from people than paying by the month
the average person can afford that.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tuanies
Onstar also allows the government to wirelessly spy on you their leisure without a warrant as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM

On Star would do much better to offer a Cell Phone service you can remove from your car and take with you. I would consider that. I don't use the phone in the car much. I just drive and just worry about where I am going.

As for GPS I won one in a drawing and gave it away. I just never find the need for it. I always get where I am going and seldom have ever gotten lost. Not just here but around the country. Even in So Cal I have racked up thousands of miles there with very few misses.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM

i wonder

if you have to pay for onstar on the vehicles that have the oem 7 inch screen? if so , then they can keep the screen as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

I made sure my HHR DID NOT have Onstar when I purchased it....As far as directions - I have Verizon's VZ Navigator. I put on my bluetooth headset while driving and it offers excellent nav - better than the Garmin's in our ambulances. It is 2.99 a day or 10.00 a month. Cheap for me. I heard (and have no conclusive evidence) that OnStar includes a black box that automatically uploads all your info to GM (speed, brakes, radio volume, etc.) in the event of a crash for their legal teams....Kinda too big brother for me.

Quick Reply: ONSTAR wont DEAL!