General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ONSTAR wont DEAL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
if you have to pay for onstar on the vehicles that have the oem 7 inch screen? if so , then they can keep the screen as well.
i don't think the NAV in the factory GPS setups like in the bigger trucks and SUVs is a part of OnStar. i think those work like an aftermarket GPS Nav-enabled head unit, disk-based. which ultimately would make it kinda pointless to get the nav version of OnStar, but then again, i could be wrong.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
If you can read a road sign and already own a cell phone why have on star?
I do like having the "hands-free" functionality of the onboard cell phone, besides, Philadelphia just passed a "handsfree" law, and NJ had a law for a couple years now. Of course, this means nothing to you if you don't have a handsfree law on the books in your area...

oh, the one time I tried to use the turn-by-turn, the onstar "agent"(?) told me to take the next exit, go 500 yards, and the place was on the left. I was expecting a little more. My GPS of choice is TomTom, for the record.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Yonash
i don't think the NAV in the factory GPS setups like in the bigger trucks and SUVs is a part of OnStar. i think those work like an aftermarket GPS Nav-enabled head unit, disk-based. which ultimately would make it kinda pointless to get the nav version of OnStar, but then again, i could be wrong.
You are correct. GM NAV radios use a DVD disc and have nothing to do with Onstar. I am currently shopping for one for a 2009 Tahoe and there are none to be found, yet. My wife had it in our old Tahoe and is pissed that I didn't get it in the new one. I know I can go aftermarket, but I don't want to, so I will wait. They will be on Ebay sooner or later.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM

if no onstar

Originally Posted by Yonash
if they have no onstar then i'd love to have one. i have seen a few salvaged. they are expensive. i also think it would be a huge pita to put in the hhr, maybe almost impossible. if i could get a 7 inch screen with nav to fold up and down in the dash glove thing that would be even better. oh , and backup cam. i've seen "cheap" ones that do this and fit in the dash where the oem radio is. i don't think they are really safe , to take your eyes so far from the road..... nc, is probably soon passing a law making it illegal to these or computers in the front seat area.it was on the news yesterday.... unless you are police. you know the police are superhuman and can drive better than us drones.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 3amigos
I made sure my HHR DID NOT have Onstar when I purchased it....As far as directions - I have Verizon's VZ Navigator. I put on my bluetooth headset while driving and it offers excellent nav - better than the Garmin's in our ambulances. It is 2.99 a day or 10.00 a month. Cheap for me. I heard (and have no conclusive evidence) that OnStar includes a black box that automatically uploads all your info to GM (speed, brakes, radio volume, etc.) in the event of a crash for their legal teams....Kinda too big brother for me.
most gm vehicles have a crash recorder built in, some ford, and some chrysler

http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM

In 1997, my wife was involved in a very serious car accident that rendered her unconcious and a hospital stay of 10 days..If not for a few very helpful folks that called 911 and helped her out, she probably would have lost her life..

SO, with that said, I dont just want to keep the Onstar for the turn/turn navagation system, I want it in the event that something like I just mentioned above, ''might'' happen..

I just renewed today for another year at 249.00..
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I don't know why you're laughing, but it has been used before.

The case arose from a 2001 FBI surveillance operation in Las Vegas, in which agents obtained a court order compelling a telematics company to secretly activate the stolen vehicle recovery feature in a customer's car. The feature, designed to listen-in on car thieves as they cruise around in a stolen auto, turns on a dashboard microphone and pipes conversations out over a cell phone connection -- normally to the company's response center, but in this case to an FBI listening post.
http://www.subliminalnews.com/archives/000119.php

Albeit it was reversed, the ability to do it is a bit scary.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM

I wont renew onstar for the turn buy turn as I already have a garmin, but am thinking about renewing the basic accident plan. I believe if you want them to report if you are in an accident or to call if you see someone else, isn't it cheaper then $250 a year. I think it is $12 a month
Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tuanies
I don't know why you're laughing, but it has been used before.

http://www.subliminalnews.com/archives/000119.php

Albeit it was reversed, the ability to do it is a bit scary.

I think I'll laugh with GDZHHR on this also.

In case you hadn't noticed, your first statement and your proposed supporting/confirming document, above, say 2 different things.....ahhhh, "without a warrant" VS "court order".

You people and your paranoia.....honestly !!!! Watch out George Bush and the NSA are listening to you also In case you didn't know it, you common landline house phone will provide the same resourse. Your cell phone will do the same and software to do so is available on the net for a minor cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyKcoDaofg

http://www.ask.com/web?q=+Cell+Phone...rc=0&o=0&l=dir
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 AM

I think its only 15.00 per month if you dont add turn/turn navigation instead of 249.00 for the year. But for just another 80.00 bucks, I added the turn/turn too.

Quick Reply: ONSTAR wont DEAL!