General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ONSTAR wont DEAL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Onstar has saved a few of my family's lives, I renewed.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

I have a small Garmon unit that I switch to any car I'm driving to "unfamiliar" areas. I've had it for two years and it is interesting to see what routes it directs me when I'm in new areas trying to get back home. I paid a lot less that what Onstar would have charged fo the Garmon. As for crash notification, it would be helpful if you are prone to wrecking a car. I've been driving 45 years now with no accidents, what would I have spent on Onstar for that "safety" feature. I'm still POd at all the money I spend on car insurance and never filing a claim.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

That's why some love it, some dont. I wont drive without it.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 PM

speaking for some one in law enforcement, we have recovered several stolen vehicles thanks to onstar....that said, I don't have onstar, my LS did not come with it...

Last edited by FlaHHROwner; 04-29-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM

I own 7 vehicles. Only 2 are OnStar enabled. A GPS and cell phone have much greater value for me going from vehicle to vehicle. And the phone service when I had OnStar was a ripoff.

Perhaps it has some merit for a 1 car or 2 car family.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM

I'll probably renew it, but I'm just going to keep the "Safe and Sound" package or whatever it's called. It's still expensive, but I like the idea of pushing a button and someone knowing exactly where I am if I need help. And no need to explain to the 911 operator where you are. Also if OnStar detects a crash or the airbags deploy, they automatically call 911. According to my 2009 OnStar brochure they can also track my vehicle if it's stolen and slow down and disable the vehicle. And I don't plan on breaking any laws or doing anything illegal, so the government can spy on me all they want :)
Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Onstar is giving discounts

Having heard that Onstar was giving discounts and since our free year was ending at the end of this week, gave them a call last night. Told the lady that the wife did like the service, but with the current economy we felt that we would be able to afford it, would probably have to cancel and asked if they had any specials going on, was transferred to a different lady who I told the same thing to and she proceed to offer service for 12.95/mo for the safe and sound plan + 100 free minutes for the phone. And the 12.95/mo is for a year of service. A bit better then their std rates. Worth a call if your service will be expiring in the near future and you do want to continue with it.

Howard
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Our free year is up July 6th and just renewed for $148.92 plus 100 phone minutes. When vehicle was new, wife was on a trip with it and had a couple of "check engine" lights. She was able to use Onstar to "analyze" the lights. It makes her happy.

If she's happy, the odds greatly increase that I'll be happy.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by JCJSS
It makes her happy.

If she's happy, the odds greatly increase that I'll be happy.
All of us married guys hear you on that!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM

I have two cars with on star ability and never use it.

We used it on a trip in my buddys car. Phone was ok as long as you are in the car and the directions were worthless.

I found it funny we asked for directions to the Richard Childress Race shop.. you know the at that time the GM Goodwrench team and they had no clue who they were or how to get there.

If Onstar had the ability to have phone service I can take with me in a regular cell phone I would car about it. Other wise if I crash or hit a tree there is always 43 people calling in the crash in my area as we are not out in the sticks.

Unless On Star offers better phone service and on board internet service in the future cars it's days are numbered.

With Sat radio on the verge of bankrutcy they might offer a package deal there too.

Quick Reply: ONSTAR wont DEAL!