General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ONSTAR wont DEAL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM

I love my Onstar and wont buy another car without it. I have used it many times, reporting drunk drivers, locking keys in the car, accidents. In Cali we have MANY area of no cell service, I always have been able to use my Onstar.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by dyline
I love my Onstar and wont buy another car without it. I have used it many times, reporting drunk drivers, locking keys in the car, accidents. In Cali we have MANY area of no cell service, I always have been able to use my Onstar.
How do you report drunk drivers? Do you have the PD programed in to the phone ot call on star itself? I had to chase a drunk on morning that had hit my mirror, I punched the phone button and told it to dial 911 but it didn't like that, wants an area code. That is a BIG drawback in my book! Ended up on my cell phone, not hands free, while talking to the PD and chasing this idiot that would not stop.

Anyways, knowing how you do it would be a help in the future. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 AM

you push the phone button on onstar, tell it to dial, it asks number please, you say 911, dial, it asks a question, you say dial and it will dial 911. If you have no minutes, call an onstar operator, I am sure they would help in this kind of emergency. I used the directions again today, it really helps when you are trying to find that hard to find or obscure address....
Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 AM

Don't hit the phone button, you should hit the emergency button.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM

I've not had a GM vehicle for a few years. My Silverado had OnStar in which I had kept the basic service. We just got this HHR and according to my salesman I'm suppose to hit the button and "setup" my acct. I'll probably pre-pay the phone in order to have a few minutes in case I leave my BlackBerry at home (my worst nightmare..lol).

I'll tell you all from first hand experience that OnStar has definitely saved lives. It may not be for everyone and those that are concerned with conspiracy theories, like us being tracked and such, may not like the idea either but the facts are that the system saves lives and is one of those things like a spare tire the only difference is that we don't have to pay a yearly fee for our spare tires.