General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Overall Review of the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Overall Review of the HHR

I am newer to these boards but I would like to start this thread about the overall feelings of HHR owners now that HHR production has run it's course. I came to this after reading the horrific ordeal that Gas Man went through with his HHR SS and the negative feelings towards GM he rightfully now has. What I would like this thread to be is how long have you had your HHR, are you satisfied with your ownership experience and most importantly, do you feel you got what you paid for, would you buy another knowing the problems you would have(if any)?. I really deliberated buying my HHR and knew full well the shortcomings of the vehicle and what repairs I would have to make in the future. But I bought mine when it was five years old with 50,000 miles for $7700. I feel I got a great value and a decent car and it suits my needs. Now where I would have had a problem is if I was the original owner of my car and had paid the full sticker of nearly $24,000 back in 2006. No way is my HHR worth that in my book. So, everybody feel free to give your honest feedback on your HHR. I think this would be a great tool for future HHR owners to look at and use when looking to buy an HHR.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM

I bought a 2006 with 32,000 miles a lease turn in, Ive had it now for 3 years just turned a little over 51,000 miles, only problum changed the cam solenoids because of the hard shifting with the auto, glad I bought it.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Very satisfied. I will be the first to tell you I love my car, but that I have not treated it very nicely. I have stated multiple times on this board and shown pictures of treating my car like an off-road missile. I have thus far changed one cam solenoid, one wheels bearing, and one sway bar link. I do not think that is too bad for 86k miles, with mud, sand, bumps, bruises, saltwater, and hauling stuff in the back.

Edit: It is also important, I feel, to point out the fact that for 15k out the door I did not expect a whole lot out of the car. I got out of sports cars and into this car because of college. I did not expect to be as fast as my F-body cars, not as nice as a Bimmer. It is a get what ya get car to me. A way back and forth to school and good on gas for a broke college student. It has done everything that I bought it for and plus some.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM

i have had my 2008 SS since april (not very long) i bought it with 36,000 miles on it and im at a little over 38,000 now. i payed 16,175$ which for an SS with basically every option is a really good deal. its a great car, i wish it had some more features but then again its just a cheap little car, but it is very very good looking and more functional than just about any other car out there. so with this, i am very satisfied!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM

LOL to my influence in this thread.

I don't need to comment too much.

When my car was running tip top (very little time more so the first 3k). I loved the car. It was SUV style vehicle with 4 cylinder MPG and nearly V8 speed. It did so much as an "all in one" car.

Then it all went to hell in a hand basket.

I never regret things like this, they all serve as lessons learned. Glad to have owned it good or bad.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Mine has been nothing but good, really. The only issue I have is my sunroof pops up slightly when I hit a bump (about 3/16")...it doesn't leak, but when it pops, it makes for a lot of wind noise. But it's been incredibly good to me...which I appreciate that much more when I read Gas's stories. Makes my PT experience seem perfect by comparison.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM

I appreciate Gas Man giving an honest opinion with the good and the bad. On so many forums of any product, so many people have a bad experience and then just try to poison everybody else into thinking just because they had a bad product, well then everybody should.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Thank you barfan. I try to maintain a clear POV and believe I can be more respectfull by doing so. When you give respect, you tend to get it in return... well unless I'm dealing with GM customer service. LOL <<Not Michelle on this forum<<

Sorry I couldn't resist that one...

Last edited by Gas Man; 08-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 PM

I've had no real trouble out of mine for 2 years now. Sunroof rattles a bit on rough roads, and the one day that the temp was under 20 degrees here I had a single clunk on the front end.

Some of the quirks get on my nerves. But most of my car snob friends love my car.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Dear Gas Man,

I have read your post; I appreciate your thoughts and point of view. I do my best to live my life as you in the regards to respect.

Your customer service joke was quite hilarious if you ask me. I know that you didn't ask me, but it gave me a good chuckle.

I hope that you have a great weekend!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Overall Review of the HHR