General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Overall Review of the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Bought the 09 new. Have 58000 trouble free miles all except a bad battery and vent tube. Would be my car of choice to buy again.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Deceased

Nothing but good things X 3. One turned into two, then two turned into three, so you can tell I like the critters quite well. Hard to beat them for utility and style in one compact package, plus the number of easy mods to make them unique and find some extra power under the hood/handle better is quite vast.

As a fleet/herd/whatever our three have a total of 184,877 nearly trouble free miles and counting(two failed batteries and one detached shifter cable repaired under warranty). Yes there are the usual HHR quirks like OEM brakes that leave something to be desired, sway bar end links that complain like grumpy old men playing checkers in the park, and those round black things that Firestone dares to call tires fitted from the factory.

I have no qualms about recommending them to anyone needing a vehicle, and it seems to me that the majority of HHR's run day in and day out like Swiss watches. Sadly those who have troubles only seem to have those troubles compounded by dealers who don't know how to diagnose and fix the issues, or they just don't care.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Dear Gas Man,

I have read your post; I appreciate your thoughts and point of view. I do my best to live my life as you in the regards to respect.

Your customer service joke was quite hilarious if you ask me. I know that you didn't ask me, but it gave me a good chuckle.

I hope that you have a great weekend!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Michelle.... I apologize and have edited my post accordingly. You do wonders from what I have seen, as I posted in the other thread defending you. It perhaps is other customer service people that are under the GM badge that don't perform to your level. Sorry for my lack of clarity.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM

worth it used

I paid $9000 for 2007 2LT 1 1/2 years ago (autotrader.com), girlfriend paid $7500 ($8500 delivered with repairs completed before purchase) for 2006 2LT in Dec 2010 (from a member of this website). This was the only good thing to come from the recession - used HHR prices were ridiculously low for a while. Her car has needed only two side marker lights (sway bar links and front struts were replaced before she got it). Mine has needed two hub bearings (replaced under the pre-2010 power train warranty) and associated front brake repair, sunroof repair, and lots of rattles repaired, among other things.

HHR is amazingly versatile, 2LT/manual has good power, FE3 suspension handles well, mileage is reasonable. Even in the South, we love the heated leather seats. I modified mine a bit (I still get comments about the unique signal mirrors which were added incidentally when I upgraded to heated outside mirrors), girlfriend has left hers alone except I insisted she upgrade to louder dual horns for safety. I'm amazed how much the HHR can carry. My other car is a Honda S2000, and I drive it very little now. I took up bicycling and use the hitch mounted bicycle carrier I added to the HHR.

I don't think they were a good value new. Particularly with the power train warranty, they are cost effective as late-model used cars when prices aren't artificially high as they have been for the last few months on non-SS HHRs.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Well, I would put a C- to mine. Great looking car, great gas milleage, great features... The issues is random ocurrence of failures that would occur. A big deal with the HHR is that is not to complex to service/replace parts on your own. I´ve saved a lot of bucks avoiding bring it to the stealership (México service sucks).
Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Gas Man,

No reason to apologize. I am not all that, but I figured you were directing this to other departments. I just found it funny and wanted to get into the fun too. LOL

I hope that you have a great weekend and see everyone back here on Monday.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Wait! We don't get the weekend off.... we have to keep posting here 24/7....

Okay, back to on topic.... Overall review.

Today I went down to see Dad as I usually do on Fridays.... Nailed 33 MPG on the way down, average speed 42 MPH and I wasn't hypermileing. On the way back the idiots were out in force, on one occasion I had to stop on a dime from 55 mph....(I got 9 cents in change. ) Had a little bit if fun on a few twisties and more than one full throttle "pass the slow truck" on the back roads on the way home. Once in town I had to do the obligatory "leave 5 foot of rubber at the Union Street traffic light" ('Tis a game I play). Checked the mileage when I got in the driveway....... 31 mpg.

All the while driving a cool looking retro wagon listening to some quality tunes.

Over all, pretty good. 33K on the OD and no repairs, no major issues.... Minor common issue of the rear brakes not self adjusting. I'll deal with it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Gas Man,

No reason to apologize. I am not all that, but I figured you were directing this to other departments. I just found it funny and wanted to get into the fun too. LOL

Well you may not come with a bag of chips but you're here aren't you. That is something.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 PM

My HHR

Bought my 2006 LT2 when it was two years old with 9k miles on it, purchased for $9K, thought is was over priced in 2006 at $25k when I viewed the HHR. Have had no problems with it, and have found it to be a fun vehicle to drive. It is easy to work on, of which I made a few mods some posted herein. Many complements have been received on the vehicle. It currently has 21k on it, with the original battery, which amazes me. Converted side markers to signal and marker, modified auto lights, dual tail stop lights, backup lights in bumper now, replaced the horn with dual tone and relocated it in front of the condenser center of vehicle, added EL wire around the window switches, and modified the interior overhead lights due to the 20 minute interval of the turn off timer, added a second OEM shelf in cargo area.

Originally Posted by barfan1
I am newer to these boards but I would like to start this thread about the overall feelings of HHR owners now that HHR production has run it's course. I came to this after reading the horrific ordeal that Gas Man went through with his HHR SS and the negative feelings towards GM he rightfully now has. What I would like this thread to be is how long have you had your HHR, are you satisfied with your ownership experience and most importantly, do you feel you got what you paid for, would you buy another knowing the problems you would have(if any)?. I really deliberated buying my HHR and knew full well the shortcomings of the vehicle and what repairs I would have to make in the future. But I bought mine when it was five years old with 50,000 miles for $7700. I feel I got a great value and a decent car and it suits my needs. Now where I would have had a problem is if I was the original owner of my car and had paid the full sticker of nearly $24,000 back in 2006. No way is my HHR worth that in my book. So, everybody feel free to give your honest feedback on your HHR. I think this would be a great tool for future HHR owners to look at and use when looking to buy an HHR.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:41 PM

The HHR makes me think something an old man (which I now am) once said about his wife. "Wouldn't take a million dollars for her but I wouldn't pay a penny for another one like her". We bought ours new (2006) and have had very few problems with it. I've never been a fan of front wheel drive but it's my wifes car and she loves it. It's been a good vehicle for us but when it comes time for another, we wouldn't buy another HHR (if there was one available). She wants a regular car like a Lexus IS, an Infiniti G37, or a Cadillac CTS, or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: Overall Review of the HHR