General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Overall Review of the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Well, being a Ford guy I wish I'd bought a Mustang.....but read on....

With all the discounts and cash for clunkers, including the overpriced GM extended warranty, I paid less than 22 for my '09. A Mustang with the same performance would have been 10G's MORE!

Other than soft paint, EPA regs suck!, I've been EXTREMELY satisfied with my SS though I've only 20,000mi on the clock.

If you are a 'Motor Head', and I am. Brand means little, though I lean Ford, one cannot more impressed than I by my little 2.0 SS!

Current GM styling absolutely SUCKS in my book save the Corvette and certain Caddys! The HHR does justice to the classic from which it came and then some!

I look forward to driving MY HHR SS and it has a balance on the street that is hard to find in this day and age. Value and performance combined with utility makes it one of my favorite cars that has been my pleasure to own......over 80 at last count....

If you read other forums one will quickly determine that almost alll cars are lemons! Yes, they do exist and member GAS Man
has had a very bad experience and it's a real shame, but there are no makes or models without similar stories. NONE!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 PM

I'd trade mine in today for an SS panel. (SS panel owners ,
Snicker now)

Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

I have owned my "07 HHRLT since 3/31/10. It has been a great car for me and I love it. No major problems like my sebring conv. I have benefited by this forum , such as the sunroof issues, I just removed the air baffle before it broke and place a baffle on the roof. Other than that some minor brake warping, but it's perfect for my use. It's my beach car, keep umbrella and beach chairs in the back all the time. I live 10 minutes from the beach in sunny Bradenton, Fl.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Talking 2006 2LT DSM original owner

Bought mine June 06 straight off the transporter.

Pros: 42k mi except for the key stuck issue no issues that left me with out a car for a whole day or more. Fun to drive comfortable driver for a 300lb American Filipino . Because of this car I met a great bunch of people on the Forum and at SoCal HHRs

Only mods added are a Magna flow exhaust and TTR Rear Sway Bar

Problems: key stuck in the ignition, wheel wobble when braking - both fixed under warranty. Water leak into passenger floor - replaced deflector above cabin air filter intake - I'm surprised that it took 4 years to manifest itself ( yes it does rain in Southern California).

Cons: Sure there's some minor fit and finish issues, some rattles.

But for less than $21K sticker I got a good looking dependable daily driver.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 AM

re

pretty good thread to hear the owners reviews...

first i'm a GM guy (pontiac mostly) head to toe and GM v8's are what i have always owned.i have owned the SS for about 4 months now.i bought a 1 owner 2008 with all the options with 55k on it and it was well kept for 15g's out the door.it needed tires and brakes so i did that right away.the only issue i have had is an electrical glitch with the radio display only working when it is dark outside (daytime it will not light up)-i doubt i will try to fix it and just upgrade the radio.i bought this vehicle because i like the body style and i needed something to haul my band gear and i wanted something fast and fun to drive.the SS meets these needs perfectly

my impressions so far are:

pros:
great performance for a 4 cylinder (my first 4 cylinder)
great gas mileage
great looks
very practical
not something you see a lot of (at least where i live)
so far very reliable
good value for the money i spent
fun to drive

cons:
design flaws (brakes,headlights,sunroof,end links,motor mounts,spare tire)-minor things that are easily corrected for the most part
build quality - however this is not an expensive car so a lot of plastic and some rattles are to be expected

truthfully as you can see i cant find too much wrong with it and the pros for my usage certainly outweigh the cons - as time goes on the mods will increase and so will the performance.unless something catastrophic happens i plan on keeping it

would i recommend it to others? - yes
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tominator
If you read other forums one will quickly determine that almost alll cars are lemons! Yes, they do exist and member GAS Man
has had a very bad experience and it's a real shame, but there are no makes or models without similar stories. NONE!
It is shame. And you are 100% correct, all models. But from my lemon office, they have dozens of cases revolving around the big 3, each and every week. It keeps them employed. In the 5 years my case filer had, only 3 volvo's. One of the law firm partners drives a volvo. I hope that all bodes well for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 PM

I bought my 06 LT new. After ~85,000 miles no issues of any consequences. New shocks, struts, tires, battery. I had the plugs replaced at 60K just because. It is an auto and I've averaged 30+ mpg since new. Oil changed when the DIC says it is getting down using M1.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM

To this point 3 years in I love my HHR SS. To be honest most of the pro's are listed here.

The only cons are the fact it has so many exposed sides on the front that you not only get stone chips on the front but the sides and top of the front end. So is the price of styling.

I have worked on and with cars for years. Every company makes lemons. If it is made by many there is going to be the problem one in everything. Heck even an apple tree grows a rotton one now and then too.

With each company for the most many companies older cars are the ones that see the most issues and the newer ones tend to be less an issue. Now and then a trouble area can crop up in later years as you can do all the testing in the world and time can still prove to find things testing can not.

The big three will have more lemons as they sell 200 times the cars that some brands sell. Case in point the Volvo example, you have to consider how few Volvos are sold and how few different models are sold here. I am not saying they are a bad car but they do have issues like anyone else as I have had to fix them too.

I like several of the new GM cars and I know some on what is coming and will have no issue finding a replacment when it is time. But for now I will drive the HHR at least 7 more years and get the good out of her vs just letting her sit and waste away like my Pontiac. In 5-7 years there will be a couple models I will have to choose from for my next ride. I will miss the HHR then but new toys can make help you move on easier.

FYI my lemon was two Fords one Cougar and one T Bird. The issues on both drove me nuts and they were gone much sooner than I had planned. I loved to drive them but just too many issues with so few miles. Sagging doors, bad paint, 4 heater motors. Seats in the car tilting in with a sagging floor, bad heads, sway bar that came off with less than 5,000 miles and more. The only good Ford I have owned was my 1963 Galaxie, that was a good car. I know Ford has some good cars but so far they have avoided me.

I went back to GM and to this point I have never had any major issues other than a Intake gasket on my GTP. Between me and my dad we have had over 30 GM cars since 1960 and very few if any major issues. Just normal wear and tear for the most part. No failed engines, trannys or other major part failure on any of them.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 PM

Had mind for over a year,its a 07 2lt paid $7k it was a salvage title and its the best littel car I've owned, I'll keep it until it dies and then rebuild it, I've had no problems so far. and with 65k miles I plan to just keep up on mods and replacment parts to keep like new.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 PM
geg

I bought my Behemoth in 2008. It had 2005!!! year of born and 56 000 miles, but it felt great!
No serious malfunction in all years of my own. Only current work (oil changes, brake pads, links) + body repairing after the incidents. Rather, I am creating problems to my guy than he creates problems to me. But I think he's not mad at me.

PS Gas Man - a great guy. Fate has treated him unfair, shipped a "unlucky car" to him.

Quick Reply: Overall Review of the HHR