General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Overly sensitive passenger seat airbag sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:59 AM

Unhappy Overly sensitive passenger seat airbag sensor

When I set something in the passenger seat, the airbag on and fasten seat belt lights come on and the car makes a beeping noise. It does this when I set something as light as a cell phone on the seat. Is the seat sensor supposed to be this sensitive or is something wrong with it?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:34 AM
Deceased

Well strictly speaking, if there isn't a butt in the seat, you shouldn't set anything on it. Objects on the front seat can become projectiles in an accident, and if said object causes an unneeded airbag deployment on that side, well things could get ugly.

What is probably happening, is the cellphone is probably setting up just enough RFI(Radio Frequency Interference) to make the occupancy sensor unhappy.

The best course of action is to place things in the passenger side footwell or behind the front seats on the floor, and get yourself a phone holder gadget that clips into a vent or sticks somewhere to hold the phone securely.

Last edited by 843de; 10-30-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: "foitwell" what's a foitwell?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 AM

Talk really mean to it, and say a lot of hurtful things, always seems to toughen up the overly sensitive.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 AM

I have found that if I move things away from the back of the seat the sensor does not go off. The only thing I normally sit in the seat is something I don't care if it ends up in the floor. The sensor seems to be located at the rear center of bottom cushion.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Pretty much what 843de said, here's something I found on-line at a Subaru site that'll give you a little more information on a capacitance sensor system. I've had an ipod patch cord that was plugged into the radio set it off.

What is an Occupant Detection System (ODS)? How Does an ODS Work?
Stanley Subaru*answers these questions with this week's Technical Schmecnical Lesson.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require the use of an Occupant Detection System (ODS). This system is designed to determine if a person is seated in the front passenger seat*, and, more importantly, if the person is of adequate size to be protected in the event of the deployment of the front passenger seat airbag (SRS) in a moderate to severe frontal collision.

Most Occupant Detection Systems measure the weight of the front seat passenger, to determine if the front passenger seat airbag should deploy.

All 2012 and 2013 Impreza and 2013 BRZ models use a new type of Occupant Detection System called*Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS. This system does not use weight to determine whether to turn the Occupant Detection System ON and OFF.*

The Electrostatic Capacitance represents a material's capability of storing an electrical charge.* Have you ever been shocked when walking across a carpeted floor and touching a doorknob? This demonstrates your ability to store an electrical charge in your body.

When anyone is seated or when anything is placed on the front passenger seat, there is a change to that capacitance value.* This change in capacitance value is what the Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS uses to determine whether the front passenger seat airbag (SRS) will be ON or OFF.

Everything that is placed on the seat will affect a change in capacitance value. *The system can determine whether to change the OFF status of an airbag to ON depending on what is on the passenger seat which in turn causes a change in capacitance value.*

Some examples:

>A proper sized passenger will change the OFF status of an airbag to ON.

>Platic, metals and other substances, even if at a heavy weight, will not change the OFF status of an airbag.

>A false electrical charge, for example, those caused by laptops that are processing data, cellphones that are on, or even an electric device connected to a car charger can cause the airbag status to switch ON.

>When water or anything with high moisture content is spilled on the front passenger seat cushion, the airbag is designed to remain OFF until the seat cushion is dry.* This will also be the case if the passenger has moisture on their clothing, such as rain-soaked pants or rain gear.* In each of these situations, the airbag status may remain OFF even if a passenger is seated.

The Electrostatic Capacitance Sensor ODS on 2012 and 2013 Impreza and 2013 BRZ models uses a low level electrical charge to determine what is on the front passenger seat.* This low level charge will NOT result in an electrical shock.

Passengers are advised NOT to sit in the front passenger seat if the seat cushion is wet or if their clothing is wet.**The best way to ensure proper operation is to keep everything off the front seat except a passenger.*

Remember, anything not belted in can be a projectile in the event of a crash and could increase injuries.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Deceased

Nice write-up there JerseyJames.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 PM

thank ya! although it was just a cut & paste job. was vexed by the "Gremlin in the Seat" myself, so had found this info
Old 10-30-2015, 10:59 PM

That makes sense. I'm glad that the phone is causing the issue and my seat is not broken.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:33 PM

I noticed the same thing. It mostly happens when the phone is screen face down. I just fastened the passenger seat belt.