General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Paint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 AM

The woman from GM called me last night and said she spoke with the reginal manager. He told he it was out of GMs hands and I will have to fight it out with the dealer that did the repair. I told her that GM has to help me on this, they are the ones that told me to have it painted at this dealer, and this dealer is a GM certified paint shop. If GM certifies them, then they should stand behind their work. She said " sorry, their is nothing else we can do, just work it out with the dealer". I asked her to talk with the reginal manager, she said it was not possible. Why am I going to keep taking my car to a painter that doesn't know how to paint. It has been there 2 times ( 3 bad paint jobs) and it keeps getting worse, and she tells me to take it back there. The dealer themselves told me, this is as good as its going to get, their is just no making you happy.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 AM

I would demand that that GM pay to have it redone at another shop and if they refuse keep moving up the food chain at GM until somebody can get it done. I would not rule out small claims court either. or at least the threat of it.

You might also take it to a trusted shop for a professional opinion and estimate that you can use if you get told again by GM or the dealer that nothing is wrong with the job they did.

I would be pissed if this happened to me.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM

I got it redone and the dealership paid for it. It came out very good. It took a little while and 4 paint jobs, but no problems as of yet. Now I just hope it stays nice.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty

it actually sticks better and is more resilient to scratching.
Then why does my HHR scratch so easily? Just letting my open jacket's zipper hit the car will leave a mark.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by lordairgtar
Then why does my HHR scratch so easily? Just letting my open jacket's zipper hit the car will leave a mark.

Because it is paint.

Scratching paint does not take much and depending on the color some show it much worse than others.

Dark colors will show just about anything while white and silver will not show much and hide many scratches.

Also if you rub against a paint and you have any amount of dust or dirt it works as an abrasive. Dust is just like sand paper.

I chringe when I see someone write wash me on a dirty car as it will scratch into the paint on really show on a dark paited car.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordairgtar
I think you're exaggerating a bit, but most cars WILL scratch if you let a zipper hit the paint. I think it might be more noticeable these days because the scratch will hit the clearcoat first and give the illusion of a bigger blemish. It could also depend on the particular color of your car and how the light hits it too.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 AM

My wife owned an '05 black Cobalt for a couple of years and it had the easiest to scratch paint that I've ever encountered, after owning a lot of cars over the years and being a real "stickler" for keeping my cars clean and polished that thing had the worst paint of anything I've ever owned. The new HHR is much better as far as paint quality goes.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 AM

No way. I've owned GM cars from every decade since the 60's. My last car was a 1995 Buick Riviera. Killer pain... very hearty. My 94 STS same thing. 94 Caprice same thing.

The 08 HHR? You blow on it and it chips. The paint is razor thing. All around the nose are chips... I've seen 30 year old paint jobs with less. I don't care what they have to do, what rules they have to live with... I shouldn't have to watch the pain flake of my car when its less than a year old and its washed once or twice a week!

I'd gripe about it if I thought they'd fix it.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM

900 miles, all with really low set flaps on the front wheels.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM

Front end chips

I have a 2009 SS HHR and mine has paint chips all over the front of the car. As a former A&P aircraft mechanic and how a QA Engineer we always had to perform hardness tests of our paint. This paint sure seems to be soft/briddle. My 1965 SS Malibu with the original paint had less chips than my 2009 SS HHR. When the white or lifght gray primer it sure show on a black car. Has anyone found anyting to help with paint chipping (protective coating. graphics and etc)?

Quick Reply: Paint Problem