General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Paint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Paint has improved in many ways over the years. But today it also has suffered due to the effects of the eviromentalist.

the solvents is most auto related paints is not as good as it has been in the past. The paint industry has scambled to look for new ways to paint and protect cars.

Even spray paint is not like it used to be.

Paint for planes is different. While they have also had to make eviro adjustments they can do a little more to make the paint on a airplane harder to with stand the speed and heat changes it goes through. It has to protect the aluminum skin to prevent the aluminum from the elements. Cracks from corrosin is the first step to failure under pressure at high altitudes.

There are clear plastic overlay 3M kits available to cover the body of the HHR but they also have their limits and are not cheap.

There is some helecopter tape you van buy that is what the racers use to cover the nose of a Sprint CUp car to protect the paint. Yopu don't see it on TV but it is noticable in person. We sell the tape at work and I may us it on my SS bumper next winter. $30+ a roll.

I bought a black HHR just because I can touch it up and sand it out so the chips will vanish. Metalic paint is not as easy to do the same.

The HHR also like so many cars today a painted front end. unlike car like your Chevelle that had a chrome and stainless front end.

Poor roads, more trucks, higer speeds and bigger tires all contribute to more road damage. The number of broken windshield also attest to this.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BobZ06
My wife owned an '05 black Cobalt for a couple of years and it had the easiest to scratch paint that I've ever encountered, after owning a lot of cars over the years and being a real "stickler" for keeping my cars clean and polished that thing had the worst paint of anything I've ever owned. The new HHR is much better as far as paint quality goes.

yes i agree i had a black 05 cobalt ls coupe(pretty much top of line without it being an SS) and it looked nice when i bought it but a year later the headlights were fogged and the paint had all kinds of scratches and the front looked like it had been sand blasted.....GM doesnt make cars like they used to....9my 95 trans am is in better shape than my 06 hhr spring editions and it has over 160k on it compared to 37k on the HHR
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM

i could go on and on about GM quality now and dont get me started on dealerships but this isnt a "trash GM thread" and as much as trash im still loyal GM
Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by cva617680
I have a 2009 SS HHR and mine has paint chips all over the front of the car. As a former A&P aircraft mechanic and how a QA Engineer we always had to perform hardness tests of our paint. This paint sure seems to be soft/briddle. My 1965 SS Malibu with the original paint had less chips than my 2009 SS HHR. When the white or lifght gray primer it sure show on a black car. Has anyone found anyting to help with paint chipping (protective coating. graphics and etc)?
They do have a film that is heatshrunk over the forward half of the hood. Not sure what it is called but I have seen it on different cars.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyM84
i could go on and on about GM quality now and dont get me started on dealerships but this isnt a "trash GM thread" and as much as trash im still loyal GM
Here here. And if anyone knows more about the heat shrunk nose protection please post!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 AM

The paint is not a GM quality issue as many MFG use the very same paint.

The problems is the paint as the goverment regs have rendered paint to a lower quality than it used to be.

Don't blaime GM for the paint blaime the same people who have left us with gas cans that we can't get gas out of easy.

PPG and others are looking for ways to make better paint or other ways to color body panels without paint and still meet the regulations.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
Here here. And if anyone knows more about the heat shrunk nose protection please post!

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.ht...FSQMDQodV3ew7A

http://www.rvinyl.com/bumperprotecti...l?feed=Froogle

http://www.nextlevelride.com/store/2...rotection.html

There are more out there. Just google and many kits will come up.
non are cheap or easy for the novice to install. Also with the shape of the HHR hood and roof your still going to get dings.

In the long run you are best off with running boards and just drive it.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM

My wife has a 08 lexus IS350 and the paint has more chips than my 06