General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

painting stuff on the hhr

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Smile painting stuff on the hhr

okay so i have a little bit of a choice to make.

i have a silver hhr

im wodering if itll look good if i paint the grill and the rear chrome part Black.
i dont know if itll look funny just cuz its a silver car. if i had a black hhr then it would be no problem. i already have the bowties black but if i painted the grill black and stuff then id probley paint the bowties Blue.

2nd subject.

im new to doing **** to my car. cuz im very young . yes YOUNG like under 20.

and well ive never known what catback means. i know its part of the pipes. but what is it all do ?

3rd. subject.

im really loving my 07 hhr panel LS. CUZ! when ever i have brakes at work . i can just go sleep in the back of my car . and yeah i keep blankets back there

4th Subject.

Cobalt ss/sc wheels

what sizes do they all come in

-----------------------

oh btw. my front and back bowties are already painted black . its been holding up good

Last edited by GrotesqueFetus6; 04-16-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 AM

1. i wouldn't paint the grille black. its just my opinion, but it wouldn't flow with the car. if you think you would like it go ahead.

2. cat-back is the exhaust system. its a bolt on kit that bolts on right after the catalitic converter, hense "cat-back".

3. sweet

4. the SS/NA rims are 17s and the SS/SC rims are 18s.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM

1. get a spare grille and paint it. id you don't like it, and you did a good job you can sell it off.

Silver car, black grille, blue bowtie is a no no to me. Silver car, black grill, silver bowtie, YES.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM

Yea twistrman is right with black and silver you just have to pick accent colors for your car. My grille is black with a red bowtie even though my car is Dark Grey Metallic. I ride with stellies on my car I just keep them super clean and i painted the lugs the same red. Ive been told i should paint the rear bar and bowtie to match but I don't want to paint over something that already has nice factory paint so I painted just the rear bowtie red. Overall it just looks super aggressive. Now with the exhaust other people might not agree with me but I just cut off my muffler and put on a downturn and it sounds sweet and loud as hell with no noticeable loss of HP or MPG. I am going to put bigger piping about a 2 1/2 inches from the cat back(no res) and a glasspack where the muffler was . These are all just me though.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM

im new to doing **** to my car. cuz im very young . yes YOUNG like under 20.
As the old saying goes: "The only problem with youth is that it's wasted on the young". Of course, I'm just jealous...

If you're interested in what a silver grille/bumper insert and lift gate handle on a silver HHR looks like check my Gallery pics. Just try to ignore the flames and imagine the bowtie in the color of your choice. My only regret is not leaving the bevelled edges of both bowties "chrome" as some other owners here have done.

I'm not suggesting that this is or isn't what you should do - just a visual aid.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Here goes - my first post!

I also have a silver hhr and I have given painting the grill and rear FLAT black many times. I saw a VW GTI recently that was dark gray and everything on it was FLAT black and it looked awesome. But the wheels were black and all the trim was flat black and it did go well with the dark gray color. I'm unsure how the black would look on the bright silver but I think FLAT black might blend in better. If I do it, I will also have my Cobalt SS wheels powder coated black.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike B.
As the old saying goes: "The only problem with youth is that it's wasted on the young". Of course, I'm just jealous...

If you're interested in what a silver grille/bumper insert and lift gate handle on a silver HHR looks like check my Gallery pics. Just try to ignore the flames and imagine the bowtie in the color of your choice. My only regret is not leaving the bevelled edges of both bowties "chrome" as some other owners here have done.

I'm not suggesting that this is or isn't what you should do - just a visual aid.

haha i had a truck at first . but that broke down on me big time. so i saved my money and got the used hhr
Old 04-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stunna
Here goes - my first post!

I also have a silver hhr and I have given painting the grill and rear FLAT black many times. I saw a VW GTI recently that was dark gray and everything on it was FLAT black and it looked awesome. But the wheels were black and all the trim was flat black and it did go well with the dark gray color. I'm unsure how the black would look on the bright silver but I think FLAT black might blend in better. If I do it, I will also have my Cobalt SS wheels powder coated black.
i have thought about flat black. with a shinny black bowtie. the blue bowtie is a maybe . i like the colors silver black and blue . and well i think they go good together .

i would like to get my hhr painted flat black one day . or a blue.

and ill do what the other guy said . buy a spair grill and rear hatch . paint them and see what it looks like. im just hoping it wouldnt look like im missing my grill in the front if i did it shinny black. thats the other thing im worryed about . i know the rear hatch would look amazing black.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Panel08
Yea twistrman is right with black and silver you just have to pick accent colors for your car. My grille is black with a red bowtie even though my car is Dark Grey Metallic. I ride with stellies on my car I just keep them super clean and i painted the lugs the same red. Ive been told i should paint the rear bar and bowtie to match but I don't want to paint over something that already has nice factory paint so I painted just the rear bowtie red. Overall it just looks super aggressive. Now with the exhaust other people might not agree with me but I just cut off my muffler and put on a downturn and it sounds sweet and loud as hell with no noticeable loss of HP or MPG. I am going to put bigger piping about a 2 1/2 inches from the cat back(no res) and a glasspack where the muffler was . These are all just me though.
you should upload some pictures to your profile or somewhere. i wanna see more of your ride
Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 PM

I'd recommend a matching no-bar silver grille with a black mesh behind it. Doing a matching three bar reminded me too much of the old Cyclon's from Battlestar Galactica.

Quick Reply: painting stuff on the hhr