General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Panel to half-panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Panel to half-panel

My wife still refuses to drive my 09 full panel after 4 years because she says she needs to see out of the back of the passenger side. It would be no big deal for me to have windowed rear doors at this point. Has anyone changed the rear doors on a full panel to the standard wagon doors? I've already done the rear seat conversion a couple years ago. I'm in MD if it's fairly easy to swap and someone wants to trade. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM

Kix,

Ever considered a rear view camera. Not expensive and easy to install a wireless setup. They bolt on top of the license plate or you can install them on the third brake light. The monitor sits on your dash and easy to see. My camera will be installed in the hole for the rear wiper which I have removed.

My daughter calls my panel a death trap and refuses to drive it because she can't see out the back. She refuses to use the mirrors. That is OK because I don't like anyone to drive it.

Incidentally, there are two models of the HHR, a Panel and a Wagon, which has all the windows. I understand some call their Panel a "half panel" and some a "Full Panel" but those are misnomers and confuse me.

Boydie Back in the Saddle..........................

Originally Posted by Kix66
My wife still refuses to drive my 09 full panel after 4 years because she says she needs to see out of the back of the passenger side. It would be no big deal for me to have windowed rear doors at this point. Has anyone changed the rear doors on a full panel to the standard wagon doors? I've already done the rear seat conversion a couple years ago. I'm in MD if it's fairly easy to swap and someone wants to trade. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM

There was a half panel sold, with windows in the rear doors but not in the rear quarterpanels. The option code for this was AA5, you can do a search on it for pics.
I dont see a problem making one up by trading doors, but the panel doors in a windowed HHR wont have the door poppers, so could only be opened using the interior handles.
Ive driven a panel a few times and the only problem I had was backing out of parking spots hoping nobody runs by. One member on here installed cameras on the rear end pointing sideways to remedy that.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Deceased

Don't forget the RPO AA5 "Partial Panel" or "Half Panel", not too common but they are out there.

Well prod beat me to it, but here's a pic of one.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM

I stand corrected. Was not aware of the model.

Boydie Back in the Saddle (after eating crow

Originally Posted by 843de
Don't forget the RPO AA5 "Partial Panel" or "Half Panel", not too common but they are out there.
Originally Posted by 843de

Well prod beat me to it, but here's a pic of one.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie
Kix,

Ever considered a rear view camera. Not expensive and easy to install a wireless setup. They bolt on top of the license plate or you can install them on the third brake light. The monitor sits on your dash and easy to see. My camera will be installed in the hole for the rear wiper which I have removed.
I think most people that don't like the panel, still wouldn't be happy with just a back-up camera.

Their problem is usually that they can't see around them, not what sits behind them. The whole " have to rely on just mirrors when changing lanes on the highway" type of thing.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM

If I remember correctly the AA5 had rear seats, So you're almost to stock now.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Mirrors are not on the doors for putting on make up.. No different that driving a van...

Panel to 1/2 panel...Whatever, one less Panel out there..
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 AM

Panels rule!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 AM

I have an AA5, was going to put panel rear doors on it but the deal fell through, my fault. A&P ended up getting the doors. THe AA5 comes with same interior as windowed HHR except for the side panel covers where the rear side windows would be. I think the rear door harness is different on the panel and does not have the wiring for the power rear door locks. I also read that the wiring harness besides being different is expensive. I have read somewhere that the panel rear parts will not let the rear windowed door close but since you already have a rear seat installed that should eliminate that problem. Your main problem about swapping rear doors with someone is I can't see anyone except an AA5 owner being even slightly interested in a swap. I mean how would a windowed HHR with panel rear door look...not good me thinks. I think a scrap yard would be your best bet although I have seen the occasional rear door on eBay. What about putting one windowed door on the passenger side and leave the panel door on the driver side, that could work...think about it a 3/4 panel.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Panel to half-panel