General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Panel to half-panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=843de;713702]Don't forget the RPO AA5 "Partial Panel" or "Half Panel", not too common but they are out there.

Also Mike. I believe the AA5 option was not available after 09'. Makes them even more rare.
I recall asking about it when I ordered my 2010. My buddy at the dealership said it wasn't on the options list if I remember correctly.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Panels do rule! No original Panel of '40s or '50s have windows or doors on the drivers side.

Some had windows on the passenger side if they had doors there. And if they had doors on the passenger side they were called "side deliveries" not panels. True panels of those days only had windows in the rear doors or what we call the "hatch" today. Some had doors without windows.

And I find no difference in driving my panel than I did in driving my S-10 with a topper on it. Still have to use the mirrors.

Boydie Back in the Saddle.....................
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Boydie
Panels do rule! No original Panel of '40s or '50s have windows or doors on the drivers side.

Some had windows on the passenger side if they had doors there. And if they had doors on the passenger side they were called "side deliveries" not panels. True panels of those days only had windows in the rear doors or what we call the "hatch" today. Some had doors without windows.

And I find no difference in driving my panel than I did in driving my S-10 with a topper on it. Still have to use the mirrors.

Boydie Back in the Saddle.....................
Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 AM

There are AA5 Half Panels for sale in the area, but I was curious if anyone had converted the full panel. I guess not. Door poppers and latches, window wiring and power locks would probably take a lot of work.

I don't have any problem driving the panel. I've owned several cargo vans, driven box trucks, and own a motorhome without side windows. Angle into blind intersections when necessary. Thinking of selling my historic GMC Caballero instead, even though insurance and tags are a quarter of the cost for the HHR. My panel LT only has 32k miles and I still love it. It's been halfway across the country at least once, and only failed me when the key switch stuck in the run position about 600 miles from home. Dealer fixed under warranty, but I think there was a campaign later. Had the water leak at the cowl area which was also fixed. I have never regretted buying the HHR and the panel still appeals to me the most.