General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Panel LS 2nd row seat install - is it legal in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Panel LS 2nd row seat install - is it legal in NJ

Hi, I was planning on adding a 2nd row seat (will get seat/belts/hardware from HHR in the junkyard) but someone brought up the issue of legality. Anyone know if it is legal to add a second row of seats to the panel HHR and in particular in NJ. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Why shouldn't it be? The vehicles rear area is inclosed, already is made to accept the seats, (except the door panels need to be changed from other posts I've read), and you'll be adding the seat belts (better). Anyway-who would know they were not supposed to be in there if you did it properly. My Windowed HHR has them, your seating would just have the addition of the cool factor....

BY THE WAY-Welcome & enjoy the ride!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Welcome!!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I think part of the legal issue may also involve your insurance company as well as state law..... Would somebody be covered by your insurance company in case of an accident? They would have to be considered "aftermarket seating" as the factory never made it that way. (even though it's a bolt in with factory parts) It would be worth checking this for all those who have done this mod or are planning such a mod.....

And.... Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Deceased

to the forum Wiggleroom!

Adding the rear seat to a panel is something that falls into a grey area at best, although the seat mounts and seat belt mounts are there, the vehicle was constructed as a light commercial truck with a registered capacity of 2 people.

Even though you're looking to do things exactly the way you should, you could be issued an equipment violation ticket under New Jersey 39:4-69..Carrying passengers on a part or place in the vehicle not intended for carrying said passengers. The fine is only $47, so unless you have some other problem that would lead an officer to write you for this violation, you should be OK.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Well, but here's another thing Mike, it could still be such with the seats folded down when not in use.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Forgot about the insurance issue for passengers. The cool factor blurred my thinking.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Deceased

Well anyone who converts a panel into a five passenger vehicle must be willing to face the possibility of personal liability issues. If the seat is installed in accordance to the methods used in the windowed version of the HHR, including strict adherence to all of the proper torque specs, and using new mechanical hardware(nuts/bolts)it will be safe to use. But it is a modification of the vehicle that is changing its basic seating arrangement, that can leave you open to litigation from both the insurance underwriters and the passengers in the event of an injury accident while carrying people in the owner installed rear seat.

I'd advise anyone thinking about doing this to check with their local DMV and their insurance underwriter before beginning the project. To answer Kevin's point, whether the seat is up or stowed, the vehicle has still been modified from its original configuration and it could be made an issue by either the DMV or the police.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Good points 843.

My thought would be if something bad happened & any 1st responders did not know or see there were people in back........Not a good scenerio..
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM

I owned a custom convertible Fiero. Insurance did not have an issue with the vehicle, they adjusted the coverage to make sure I was covered properly. I had a 1997 BMW Z3 without rollover hoops, but I added them to the factory mounts... insurance didn't care.

As for putting in the seat, if there are mounts for the seat and seat belt, then you should be fine. Installing a seat is no different than removing and reinstalling a seat. Torque values and such... sure, follow them, but you don't contact your insurance when you remove the seat to clean under it, do you? :)

The DMV and police won't care, just talk to your insurance agent, but in most of the cases, they will tell you that they don't care. You have to remember that people add seat belts to old vehicles, they change seats, etc.... and all of these cars are covered. I wouldn't even bat an eye at installing seats if the factory mounts were used.

I am not a lawyer, so, this is only my opinion... do what you want and talk to the insurance if you are concerned. :)

Quick Reply: Panel LS 2nd row seat install - is it legal in NJ