General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Parking 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Today, we go dinkin around the town. We went to one store and I had the parking lot to myself. Drive right up through the middle of it and park so I'm nose out in a space. Come back out, look and "SOB" did it again. I swear it looks straight going in but it's not.

Something else that I did pick up on is that it's always "nose left".
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM

It's the visibility , i'm ok with regular parking spots but parallel im usually 10 inches from the curb. If you cheat with the power mirrors its pretty easy though :)
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Never had any issues parking this or any other vehicle.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM

I had issues at first having traded in my '03 Silverado. A week into it now and it is still fairly easy. For some reason I have the habit of still wanting to back in to every spot though . . .
Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM

I have no problems parking my HHR straight. The left and right sides are both parallel line and are straight. Its not my fault the moron who painted the parking lines did not get them right :

Julian
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM

I have a hard time backing mine in. I always think it's longer than it really is, and leave too much room behind me. Gave up a Mercury Villager minivan for this, maybe my depth perception just sucks.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM

my only parking issue is that I will not park mine near any other cars, and if I absolutely have to then I look for an 'end spot' with a curb on one side...then I park with the driver side all the way up to the curb, just careful enough not to rub the rims on the curb. This leaves a large space between my ride and the car next to me...I just don't trust other drivers who see their cars as nothing more than a form of transportation hitting their doors on my ride!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 AM

I'm really surprised at how many people here drink and drive! LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil
my only parking issue is that I will not park mine near any other cars, and if I absolutely have to then I look for an 'end spot' with a curb on one side...then I park with the driver side all the way up to the curb, just careful enough not to rub the rims on the curb. This leaves a large space between my ride and the car next to me...I just don't trust other drivers who see their cars as nothing more than a form of transportation hitting their doors on my ride!
This is exactly what I do also. There are too many who just don't care about others property.

I don't have any problems parking straight, but then again I'm used to driving large commercial trucks, and backing them into tight docks, where they have to be lined up perfectly for the dock plate to work, so I have tons of practice.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil
I do that also, and used to figure that I would be safer when I parallel parked along a curb. Problem is, here in the Big Apple, lots of people double park to let there passangers off, then you still get dinged (a cabbie did it last year to me, and the worst part is the ENTIRE block in front of me was a clear bus stop-yet he chose to block the street and stop right along side of me). Another biggie here is fancy metal fences around trees planted along the curb. They are low enough that you cant see them from the car, but when you open your door-bang-there they are. They also make parking a challange. Hitting the curb with your tires is bad enough, but heaven forbid you back into one of them!

Quick Reply: Parking 101